Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Actually I want to access the linux pc as I access windows pc from windows pc....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I am not able to access linux pc from windows 2000/xp/2003

Actually I want to access the linux pc as I access windows pc from windows pc.

Just Joined!
    Have you compiled support for cifs or smbfs into the kernel?

Just Joined!

hii

i am also a newbie. but as far as i know, configuring samba will solve your problem . u can configure samba either manually thru smb.conf or by SWAT . swat is a web based tool to administer samba which runs on port 901. or else, u can start ssh on linux & login from windows thru ssh. it is gui based & u can c linux box as u use to c your m$ boxes. for ssh client for windows, pliz download from www.sfsu.edu/~doit/helpdesk/wdevapp.htm. if it was helpful , reply back. thanx

Just Joined!

I am not able to access linux pc from windows 2000/xp/2003

No .

Pls. tell me how will i do that

Just Joined!
    I suppose you have samba > 3.0 and smb.conf in /etc/samba. replace your config with this:

[global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    null passwords = Yes
    passdb backend = tdbsam:/etc/samba/private/passdb.tdb
    log level = 3
    ldap ssl = no

[root]
    path = /
    read only = No

This is enough to create access to your root dir.

Run this command: smbpasswd -a root
    It will ask you for a password and create root user for samba. You can try to mount this root dir from localhost to be sure it work fine: "mount -t cifs //localhost/root /some/mount/point" or if you don't have cifs support "mount -t smbfs //localhost/root /some/mount/point". If you'll be able to mount it, then everything should be ok and you can try to access your linux box from windows. If it fails you can check for example dmesg or something. If the access from windows fail, there is something wrong with your network settings...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2