Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to create a DNS server on a linux machine using BIND. I have it installed and running with one virtual domain setup. This virtual domain works fine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS (BIND)... Probably a simple problem

I am trying to create a DNS server on a linux machine using BIND. I have it installed and running with one virtual domain setup. This virtual domain works fine locally and goes to the correct home directory/document (index.html). This domain is registered and points to the nameserver ns.<my-site>.com. ns.<my-site>.com when typed into a browser brings up the default test page for apache... so im guessing that's working ok. The missing link is that I when I type <my-site>.com into a browser it doesnt find it. I dont see what i've done wrong. Could anyone help? Seems like im missing something probably quite simple.

Also, im using webmin to configure bind if that makes any difference.

Linux Newbie
    You just need to add an A record for the domain root. Something like this in your zone file would work:

example.com. A 127.0.0.1

Replace example.com with your registered domain, and the IP address to the same you've assigned to www.example.com.

Just Joined!
    Guys I'm kinda new here but I would like to ask some thing about this topic.

How do you set up your DNS locally. With out having a registered Domain. I mean like setting up your own DNS LAN.. The thing is I have read some HOWTOS but I"m kinda confused about it. CAN anyone share their Ideas. Or can any one give a Basic step by stpe procedure on how to set it up? Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I wrote a tutorial here: DevShed DNS Forum, Sticky Topic

Setting up a private zone, is the same as setting up a public zone.

Just Joined!
    thanks man!