Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, i am facing a serious problem with the Linux system i have, which is SuSe 7.1 (Kernel Ver. 2.4.0-4GB) With ReiserFS version 3.5.29. The system had 1 GB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

System hangs unexpectedly

Hello all,
    i am facing a serious problem with the Linux system i have, which is
    SuSe 7.1 (Kernel Ver. 2.4.0-4GB) With ReiserFS version 3.5.29.
    The system had 1 GB of RAM , 2 Nos. P-3 800 CPU, , Intel L440GX
    motherboard.

The /var/log/messages log file doesnt tells much. only that theres
    some garbage in when the system gets hang.
    i m pasting the log when the system got hang and the log just after
    reboot.
    ##Start of the log###

Jul 19 07:48:00 linux /USR/SBIN/CRON[3753]: (root) CMD
    (/usr/bin/queue_repair.py -r >> /mnt/log/shekhar/queue_repair-out)
    Jul 19 07:48:00 linux /USR/SBIN/CRON[3754]: (root) CMD (/usr/bin/perl
    /mnt/log/shekhar/atop/ProcessMonitor.pl 2&1> /dev/null)
    ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
    @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^
    ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
    @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ @^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@<^[k(j
    ڴ0g>px~W'^L^Gdz^Qw^@~[ ^CM}
    x~S^O^Q?$?6M=X^@~K>c5aZ^B 5?~[wgJ^F
    ~^R|U^FKa&9#~I~]2~R%~M^M~D^T~UG^QT^Z[^|
    oZA_t^Z~^9%~ZYYO8^@~T~Z~S^@)_'^S~H ~X~MqyL^UP`ph)*3~B@p^O^SV8^\^@^[^^^?^^~[~T~U^[~G^_"^M^]<of^?~U^@^]^_~_gC^KL~M~\~S^M1tX!C^E^N^@^@ &)^@OV}{^T6>^AYO~Rݽ76ܿu~F^ ^~_s9^@^A5661^Yo\^@~A~\_~L{^Ov~M~[^Ot~C|
    G^[~Tl6~^}^@^@~A?~BvF^S^[~\vE^b~NVQ~_e~O~N^O^G^_4>"l|^u^_ ~N|^YLwg(~X^?^Sic1R}W^SW:~O^?v~A N}~Y~ON_
    Y&O^Q3|xضZse~Y~S~Y+2}W~X ^@yH^A1GY^?~#~F^@#~N~SW;~W~C~N/_E_^WCX|^^~K#^Y3{n71^_y4y~]0zL*^D~@j^?^?[?~Z^Fա;*>(w}55T2P^?.;;9^PMOUKTF#^QKUJy^V^]#~MD~K~NC׾^Vo>5^M~I6{{nڬC6^Nw^E C_KMQO~R~Xڼ^X^^~R^@~Q|
    ~^@~Cm?p~YKjPcp5X^_V~^Lyl^L~Vf !l^?^_^Cw9;~Cp^[K^?v6F3~Y^Z~J^?7~Nn<m';~Gi^M~A~ Ooa~~Gٸ~]~G]N~Sp^K^M??#~_iV)*jG~W:ϼ^_Aqtk |~V-~[OpU>.~[J+wUu^GUSST^@_n^\O^_?rvdC~G~O^W~M cvW~^\l^_}~^~_ii~~S15^?vw7Mu^]n|
    ~^^NY2|-^]r<BVo%B~S~S-YEu~U~U`^@~V~=~J]>^Sϴ6?h8xpU_i~_~G,i^]E/~ZϨ<^_j׿^Fw&ҬlݹM^G^G7EunV~_Q~XLo? wUWx~Aw~Gt^[){^O^]^OUt/^EQBhqXy~\~V^@~T?j^@)^E~A^V^_u_jR E~Y~M^Oak>z^Z^Z
    z~S?IIx^E~[xVI~TK~XtUb^O?^L^U^_mj~\~U7~SY?^^ w^Nw6z^O5^U~Qb^^~G!C]^_W!~MZu~^~Z~Wv~\^@7F~U˻k1P }2~Z~[^B
    O?w^@~Uc^F^Kvd[^^^WmE~O~W~V^\C]~U~^-~D7^K^_`~M$~T^Ymٵ[n~B~]2~]~MYKY^E^N?^SsM^@)~__^@X*;~C^]~C1^^^Y:qGA~C0^?^V7K%^?~U~D}o ~G'7^U^_Tg6=vUR+<mZzzu?j^?^[??}r_^[$}1u^[V~^~Bhݹj^F+^?~TT}'֯^@{^N{+wVo+~[~Z^Z~~Kvu^Xj^Mg~^s~USSTd?^R~S+~F~_~^ 8^_~P{l}~F^WU~K~Fp^Xy^@^Tj~~
    ^@_k6~:~C2Y~JY^[yK^T9Z^_6?~_mru5|R}^@o};~O^Q^L~_~[?qe~W3]C^F+>^[~M^@~U~A^^^aɶ~Y^O[o?k,g~O54~IH?+(^@B^]~X[^_xM^U~['^WqIjJul
    19 08:41:15 linux syslogd 1.3-3: restart.
    Jul 19 08:41:17 linux usbmgr[451]: start 0.4.1
    Jul 19 08:41:17 linux usbmgr[453]: "hid" was loaded

##End of Log###

The load at the time when the server goes into hang state is not much.
    at the time of the above hang condition, it was
    Below is the output of ATOP (Program from freshmeat.net)
    ATOP - System & Process Monitor 07:45:01 81674
    seconds elapsed
    PRC | sys 40m09s | user 2m28s | #procs 285 | #exits 10 |
    #zombie 10 |
    CPU | system 13% | user 10% | nice 0% | idle 77% | cs
    40145276 |
    MEM | tot 1.0G | free 23.8M | cache 421.3M | buff 102.2M | share
    0.0M |

Please help me figure out the problem, the system is a Mail, &
    webserver, having 2 GB of datatransfer everyday.
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Jitendra Taunk
    System Administrator

Linux Guru
    ok, your system is hanging?
    From the part of the log file that you have pasted, it look's like a lot of custom script's on the system? are they essential? Have you found a pattern to the system hanging? ie everytime (x condition) then (y happens)? How hot is the CPU?

What have you tried already?

Jason

You have a old kernel. try to update it if you can, and see if the problem still are there!

Linux User
    If you look at the code real close, you can read "FUXORED" in it....