Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I have a P0S computer just laying around... doing nothing... This box that i have is a lame computer... It has 512 mb ram, 10 gig hd & a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Local Webserver

Hey, I have a P0S computer just laying around... doing nothing... This box that i have is a lame computer... It has 512 mb ram, 10 gig hd & a (ick) 500 mhz Celeron... It is just layin around and i wanna get a basic webserver up... I want to have an FTP on it & it defiantly has to have Apache & PHP, as well as MySQL

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions...
    My main webserver is pretty cool... it has Dual Xeon processors, has 2 gigs of ram, windows 2003 & mssql server enterprise :P it works great... but i wanna have a server to play with php

Linux Guru
    Go for it

IMO go with Apache 1.3.27 and the latest version of PHP. You will need to install MySQL first.

After installing mysql, follow these instructions for installing Apache & PHP to work with mysql: http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.apache.php

dont really know what you what us to say?

Jason

Just Joined!
    If you run a nice lean distro like slack then just having a celery 500 will be fine.

Just Joined!
    Build Gentoo from Stage 1 on it
    A bit of research into setting it up will ensure you have everything nicely optimized and compiled to the machines hardware, which is a nice thing.
    It's also a breeze to maintain.

The only downside of that is that you'll spend a good week compiling to get setup. But in the end on a slower machine (with a good CFLAG setup) it will be very beneficial as all your progs will be optimized.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Will only take a week if you have a decent inet connection. If you are on dial up the forget about it.

Just Joined!
    I have only a dialup and I manage just fine. Yes, the initial install is somewhat timeconsuming, however there is a new set of CD's out you can get which will reduce the amount of downloading needed, hence saving you time there (if in fact you have a modem).
    Also, if you are only setting this up as a web server with some extra services, you won't need to install X (unless you want to of course), therefore saving quite a few more hours.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I've run RH 8 (in gui pig mode) on a celeron 333 w/32 megs ram and it was fine as a personal machine or low demand server.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"