Find the answer to your Linux question:
shifted to fedora core2 today. when i use # service named start , the follwoing error appears.......... rndc : connect failed: connection refused and for # rndc reload , the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

named not starting

shifted to fedora core2 today. when i use
    # service named start,
    the follwoing error appears..........
    rndc : connect failed: connection refused

and for # rndc reload,
    the follwoing error appears..........
    rndc : connect failed: connection refused

I am just running caching only name server with a forwarder entry in /etc/named.conf . Also the 2 zone files in /var/named r fine.

Just Joined!
    did you check your bind.? FC2 is quite a little bugy..

Linux Newbie
    That is unusual for "service named start" to result in a connection refused. Do you really mean that the "stop" argument results in a connection refused? Cause that would make a lot of sense.

Show me the results for this command:

ps -Af | grep 'named'

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hi "silentrage", the result of that command is ::
    named 2345 1 0 12:04 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/named -u named -t /var/named/chroot
    root 3506 3434 0 13:02 pts/1 00:00:00 grep named

but now, its working fine after copying the /etc/named.conf and /etc/rndc.key files to /var/named/chroot/etc.

anyway,
    1. can u pliz briefly explain me the purpose of rndc and SOA ??
    2. i want to configure name based virtual hosting. changing in httpd.conf is done . now, what r the changes i should do in dns ??? suppose i want to host three websites on a single host. for ex- www.a.com, www.b.com. www.c.com. . how should i proceed for named configuration ???

donot send any links to study. thanx

Linux Newbie
    lol, links to study indeed. I'm more of a teacher rather than a librarian. But I promise you, if I ever give you links, they will be eminently helpful.

rndc

This tool is used to manage BIND. With it you can stop BIND, reload the BIND config, check on BIND's status, etc etc etc. It does these things by connecting to the BIND process via TCP and sending commands to it. The "rndc.key" file is how it cryptographically secures the transactions against unauthorized use. Needless to say if BIND is not running, it won't be able to connect to it. It also can't be used to start BIND, which is why I found it rather doubtful that your "service named start" command resulted in a connection refused.

SOA

This is just one of many types of DNS records. The SOA record may exist once, and only once, in every zone file. This record describes some information about the zone. Most of the SOA fields have to do with slave behavior. An example zone file can be seen here:

http://www.dollardns.net/bind/basiczone.com.zone

Just Joined!
    hi, thanx. but, u didn't mention anything regarding my 2nd question on virtual hosting. my boss wants me to configure that immediately. i know its a matter of few minutes for u . bcoz, i find u very much interested towards dns.

Linux Newbie
    The DNS aspect is very simple. If you want multiple domains pointing to the same webserver, then you need to point them all to the same IP. For example if your webserver is at the IP address 127.0.0.1:

In the zone file for "example.com" you have the following record:
    www A 127.0.0.1

In the zone file for "buddy.com" you have the following record:
    www A 127.0.0.1

etc.