Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Centos 3.4 distro and tried to set up an ftp server. I have anonymous_enable=YES. When tried to access my server from Internet Explorer 6.0 ( ftp://my_ip ) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

vsftpd + Permission denied problem

I have a Centos 3.4 distro and tried to set up an ftp server.
    I have anonymous_enable=YES. When tried to access my server from Internet Explorer 6.0 (ftp://my_ip) the following message appears

Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.

Details:
    220 (vsFTPd 1.2.1)
    530 Permission denied

My permissions are the following
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root /var/ftp
    drwxrwxr-x 2 root ftp /var/ftp/pub

Does anyone have any clue?

anonymous_enable=YES
    there is something goofy with this. I think if you want anonymous login you need to comment this out. There is a wierd comment in parethesis after this which leads me to believe this.
    I am not familiar with Centros but I think if you make a change to vsftpd.conf you need to restart the service.
    not sure how in Centos but in Fedora it is /etc/init.d/vsftpd restart

as far as the permissions you posted those don't make a difference as far as anonymous loging meaning you will have anonymous if you configure it right without changing the permissions.
    I have to remind you that anonymous ftp is very very dangerous. I am hoping you know how to secure your box. I suggest creating a user called ftp or something and only allowing people you know access to that account
    just a suggestion though.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds