Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a fairly simply fedora core 2 setup. I just turned on dovecot and stuff like that after the install so that my server could send e-mails, and it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

emails being rejected by some servers

I have a fairly simply fedora core 2 setup. I just turned on dovecot and stuff like that after the install so that my server could send e-mails, and it works great for the most part. By some servers simply won't recieve e-mails from this server. It returns the following error message.

direct deliveries from this dynamic/dialup ip
    refused, use your ISP's smarthost.

This error kinda makes sense to me, but to be honest I have no clue how i'd go about resolving this issue. So if anyone could help, or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I'm no idiot with linux, but I'm also far from being an expert so any help would be appriciated.

Also, might be worth noting that on the first of every month the root account is sent an email that says "Site list is missing: mailman".

Linux Enthusiast
    This is most likely due to the servers that rejecting your server for delivering that they have enabled RBL controlling. And a lot of RBL's with automatic updates and so on, do have a policy to not allowing direct connections from dynamic IP pools.
    This is in the fight of spam, where a alot of spammers tend to send directly from it's dynamicaly assigned IP's. And there are a lot of SMTP servers around the Internet that are so called Open Relay's, which means that anyone could use that server as a SMTP sender server. Also known to be used by spammers.
    Best shoot is that you try to order a static IP from your ISP, or that you ni fact do a relay over your ISP mailserver, which you should have been assigned and told from your ISP.

Linux Newbie
    Sorry I left this out before, but I actually do have a static IP. This server has always been at the same IP, and had the same domain name attached to it. Which is what has me so confused with this error in the first place.

In the event I have to do a relay over my ISP's mail server is there some documentation you could point me towards about how to do this with a fedora core 2 setup?

Linux Enthusiast
    Do you know for fact how your mail has been rejected? Did you get the error code as well recorded?
    5xx : Permanently rejected
    Which normaly is due to a bad rbl listing or unknown receiver/domain

4xx : Temporary rejected
    Which could be caused due to that the receiving mail server has Greylisting enabled.

So my suggestion here is that you check out your SMTP logfile for an accurate error message, and then it will be much easier to diagnose.

Linux Newbie
    Well, I'm feeling like an idiot so far, lets see if I can get all the needed info posted this time. Here's the error in full.

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    <emailaddressremoved>
    (reason: 550 RBL rejection: direct deliveries from this dynamic/dialup ip refused, use your ISP's smarthost.)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
    ... while talking to mx01.1and1.com.:
    >>> DATA
    <<< 550 RBL rejection: direct deliveries from this dynamic/dialup ip refused, use your ISP's smarthost.
    550 5.1.1 <emailadddressremoved>... User unknown
    <<< 554 no valid recipients

Also, the server itself has a business high speed connection, meant for running servers. So the ISP should be allowing me to run a mail server. The problem is this is the first time I've tried to setup a mail server.

scm
    Linux Engineer
    It looks like swemic is right - your outgoing emails have to be relayed through your ISP's SMTP server. Some SMTP servers aren't fussy who they receive from, but many are now to reduce the risk of being used for propagating spam.

If you're running sendmail, setup the SMART_HOST entry in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, rerun make, and restart sendmail.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks you guys, I think it's all fixed up for me now. I guess I'll find out soon if I get more complaints though.

Just Joined!

Talking What i can do if i have Postfix intead of sendmail?

I ahve the same problem but my server use Postfix.
    What i can do to solve the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by saulbretado View Post
    I ahve the same problem but my server use Postfix.
    What i can do to solve the same problem?
    relay thru your isp using this line in main.cf
    relayhost = your_relay_host