Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a sub-domain that when I try to go to it fails (page cannot be displayed). How can I tell it is the DNS pointing to the wrong server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS or my machine?

I have a sub-domain that when I try to go to it fails (page cannot be displayed).

How can I tell it is the DNS pointing to the wrong server or if my server is f'd.

Also --

If it is my server - what could be wrong.

I have my virtual host setup (same as another that works fine)

Thanks!

BTW - I have done a ping and the sub.domain.com and it gets the right IP address.

Is it a problem that I have in my httpd.conf

Code:
    <VirtualHost *&#58;80>
        ServerName forums.domain.com
        DocumentRoot /site/forums
    </VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *&#58;80>
        ServerName admin.domain.com
        DocumentRoot /site/admin
    </VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *&#58;80>
        ServerName domain.com
        DocumentRoot /site
        ServerAlias *.domain.com www.domain.com
    </VirtualHost>

Linux Newbie
    That was smart that you put the wildcard virtualhost at the bottom like that.

At this point I don't know what the problem is. But if you tell me the real domain that is experiencing problems, I bet I could find out.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for PM'ing me your domain. I'll continue to help you here though, so that other people could benefit from any discussion that takes place.

The website works perfectly for me. The domain resolves to an IP, that is connectible, and when visited in a browser displays a simple webpage with a single graphic that says something about being the champion of savings.

If this is what I'm supposed to see, then perhaps your problem is temporary, or you're hosting this website on a private LAN behind a router, and you are not able to connect to your public IP from within the LAN.

Just Joined!
    The problem is with forums.domain.com.

It should be showing the phpBB2 interface, same thing you get when you go to www.domain.com/forums

Linux Newbie
    The 'forums' hostname does not resolve to the same IP as the 'www' hostname. Connections time out.