Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am wondering what YOU think the easiest to setup / use / administer distrobution of Linux for a samba file server is. I am looking for something that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

EASIEST Linux/Samba File Server Distro

Hi,
    I am wondering what YOU think the easiest to setup / use / administer distrobution of Linux for a samba file server is. I am looking for something that is GUI based, a samba file server, for a place that IT people would not be available all the time and easy for a Linux semi-newbie.

sorry if this is confusing, but the subject basically says it all.

The Samba server would be something (not sure of name) where people could logon, have home drives, etc...(shared folders also) mounted, easy to add users, not top of the line, etc...

THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael J.

Just Joined!
    Well, I simply used webmin to admin and create my samba shares in gentoo. I was able to do it in about 2 minutes without any issues.

Linux User
    Hello! I think you should be able to use any kind of distro for a Samba File Server. I would maybe say SuSE is a good distro to start experimenting with for that. If not, you can check out: www.distrowatch.com and browse among the different ones on the site. Hope you find what you're looking for.