Find the answer to your Linux question:
fedora core - 2. I want to host a website for my company . i have developed a website . Started apache . its running fine on the "localhost". Now, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

new to website hosting

fedora core - 2.
    I want to host a website for my company . i have developed a website . Started apache . its running fine on the "localhost". Now, i want to host that website on the internet. how to go about it ?? i have a public & static IP address. i hope i have to configure the DNS. suppose name of my website is "www.example.com". Will i have to register this domain ?? or can i just configure my DNS to host ?? what will be my DNS configurations ??? Pliz guide.

Just Joined!
    You have to register your website 'examlpe.com' with a registrar.
    If you have a static IP adres (from your provider) you can use that IP adress.

your own DNS servers need to get pointed to the registrats DNS servers or point the webserver directly to their DNS servers

hope to get you on your way.

I use for our company a webhost and get space on their servers for the website. (100MB space, 1GB/mo data transfer, additional GB/mo = $5,00, perl, php for the basic abo. 200MB,3GB/mo, own CGI or 300MB, 5GM/mo also possible)

Just Joined!
    hi Bikerepairmann, thanx for ur reply. I am running a caching only name server . In the /etc/named.conf, i have "forwarders x.x.x.x & forward only" entry. how to point to the DNS servers of the registrar ? i mean where xactly should i configure ? is it the zone files ? i am unable to get. I have 2 NICs on linux server. one with a public IP & other with a private (192.x.x.x) for internal users. my forward lookup zone file has only
    IN NS <hostname>
    IN A 192.x.x.x

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    My fault, I meant the other way 'round.

The DNS servers of the registrar need to point to your website (on a public static IP) or else you have to use dyndns (check there)

I checked the dns settings on my hosting service:
    ftp A <IP>
    <website>. A <IP>
    <subdomain> A <IP>
    localhost A 127.0.0.1
    mail MX 10
    <website>. NS ns1.<nameserver>
    <website>. NS ns2.<nameserver>

where <IP> means the IP adresses are the IP adress of your website.
    nsx.<nameserver> point to the registrar or hosting service nameservers

I just set up a site on one of my home computers this week, www.deeksworld.com. After I picked up a domain name, I went out to www.easydns.com, signed up for an account and created A and CNAME records on their nameservers.

From that point, I just had to go back to the configuration of my domain at the registrar's site and add those easydns nameservers to the domain name and everything seems to be working fine.

EasyDNS is free, although you are asked to donate, which isn't too bad. I highly recommend a free or cheap DNS service as that way you don't have to worry about domain forwarding, masking, etc.
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777