Find the answer to your Linux question:
i installed fedora core 2 ( with all packages). 1. suppose, i want to start mail server for the local host only. Is the mail server configured by default ? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

new to mail

i installed fedora core 2 ( with all packages).

1. suppose, i want to start mail server for the local host only. Is the mail server configured by default ? suppose, i have added 10 users on my local host only. i want that a mail application should run between all these 10 users on the localhost ? so, can the mail service be used by default ?

2. Is there any GUI & web based application which can be used for the mail application written above ? i have heard of webmail, squirrel mail & their plugins....something of that sort, etc. but how to use that on the localhost for all my 10 users ?

3. if i run # mail ,
    Mail version 8.1 6/6/93.
    "/var/spool/mail/root": 8 messages 8 unread

Is this the default mail application which is running ?? what services it uses ? sendmail or postfix ? pliz write all the services it uses ? How can i use the command line to send mails ?

bye
    jk.

scm
    Linux Engineer

Re: new to mail

Quote Originally Posted by jkmartha
    i installed fedora core 2 ( with all packages).

1. suppose, i want to start mail server for the local host only. Is the mail server configured by default ? suppose, i have added 10 users on my local host only. i want that a mail application should run between all these 10 users on the localhost ? so, can the mail service be used by default ?
    It's probably already running. Try sending mail (see below) from one of the users to another and see if it works!

2. Is there any GUI & web based application which can be used for the mail application written above ? i have heard of webmail, squirrel mail & their plugins....something of that sort, etc. but how to use that on the localhost for all my 10 users ?
    To run web-based mail clients you'll need to be running a web-server. GUI apps exist, depending on the desktop you're using (kmail for KDE, for instance).

3. if i run # mail ,
    Mail version 8.1 6/6/93.
    "/var/spool/mail/root": 8 messages 8 unread

Is this the default mail application which is running ?? what services it uses ? sendmail or postfix ? pliz write all the services it uses ? How can i use the command line to send mails ?
    man mail will tell you all you need to know about this mail client. Other command line email clients include mutt and elm.

The email client doesn't (usually) worry about receiving mail, that's done by the Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) and can be sendmail or postfix (or any other you care to install). For outgoing mail your email client will either connect directly to your ISP's SMTP server, or will transfer the mail through port 25 of your localhost, from whence it will be forwarded as appropriate, according to your configuration. As noted above, if you're just looking for local mail, try it and see if it works! If it doesn't, check the files in /var/log for hints on what's failing.

HTH,
    Steve