Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i have RHL9 running as root. another user is running a shell script that gets into infinite loop and consumes almost 100% of the CPU usage. So i want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to restrict CPU usage??

hi,
    i have RHL9 running as root. another user is running a shell script that gets into infinite loop and consumes almost 100% of the CPU usage. So i want to restrict the user to run such program?? If such resctrictions cannot be placed, then can i restrict the CPU usage to say 30% or 40%?
    Thanks
    Jyoti

Linux Engineer
    This sounds very much like a homework question, but I could be wrong. Just to be safe, I'm not going to directly answer the question, but instead point you in the right direction. Here are a couple places to start:

man nice
    man limits.conf

/etc/security/limits.conf

If that doesn't help, Google those terms above and/or something of the like. Those references should be enough to answer your questions though. Hope this helps.

scm
    Linux Engineer
    AFAIK you can't restrict based on CPU usage but you can limit the time a process can run for - ulimit(1) is the facility, part of the shell's environment. man bash for details.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by scm
    AFAIK you can't restrict based on CPU usage but you can limit the time a process can run for - ulimit(1) is the facility, part of the shell's environment. man bash for details.
    Ah, I forgot about ulimit.