Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
yea the main backlash to using locate is that if you are looking for a recently added file, then you have to do the good ol su updatedb and that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

yea the main backlash to using locate is that if you are looking for a recently added file, then you have to do the good ol
    su
    updatedb

and that can slow up your box quite a bit if you don't have that great of a processor, like myself, and could take a while to do as well. the longest i have had to wait once was about 20 minutes for it to build the database listing. i will have to try to find command from now on if it works better.

-Brandon C. Brown

ps ... i suggest doing at least one updatedb in case you ever need to find the placing of dir's. i sometimes use it to find directories where i need to copy files and what not. but thats just me.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    For those that only want to use locate they can use updatedb in a perl script via cron.daily and it would be updated at least daily.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2