Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a linux newbie user, I have a Ubuntu server for tryouts and testings, my problem is that I would like to set any kind of script of something ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Generating automatically a motd file

Hi, I'm a linux newbie user, I have a Ubuntu server for tryouts and testings, my problem is that I would like to set any kind of script of something that write the motd file everytime any user logs in using ssh, because I have found that sometimes people who log in this server keep changing and writing stupid things in the motd file so the others can see whenever they log. I want to set the motd file so it's only one and it doesn't matter if someone just logs in (with root account), even if they rm the /etc/motd it will be generated automatically next time another users logs in. Can this thing be done?

Not really if they have root access they can undo anything you have done.

Just Joined!
    I know that, but the problem is that server is a test server, so, a lot of students (because it's a university test server) have the root pass, so, many of us could change that and uno the changes that others do. So, do you know how to do what I asked before?

scm
    Linux Engineer
    You could run a cron job every minute to copy the motd file from a known location. Or write a script to do it, with the motd content embedded. However, a malicious user with root access could still find the files and change them. root's powerful like that. Do many people really need root access?

Just Joined!
    Yes, many people ( 5 persons) know about our server's root password, because it's OUR server, I mean, all the 5 of us mounted the server and colaborate for it.

By the way, how can I do the cron job? I would like to know more about it, could you please teach me a little more?

Just Joined!
    Greetings,

Please refer to the following link to learn more about cron: http://www.linuxhelp.net/guides/cron/

This will help u and will provide you the knowledge you require. Another thing for the Motd file I can suggest you to immunize the file using the chattr +i <file name>

If you do this untill and unless you remove the +i thing no one wud be able to delete or able to change the contents of the file.

Regards

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot! that servesme perfectly!