Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to linux - read lots of books though. I was trying to set up a box for my home network that would be a fileserver (samba) and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Reccomendations?

I am new to linux - read lots of books though.

I was trying to set up a box for my home network that would be a fileserver (samba) and web server (apache with the php modules and mysql modules) and the mysql server. I would also like to play around with configuring BIND DNS server as well as Sendmail and a POP3 server. Ideally it would be a box with no monitor, and I would access it via PuTTY SSH as well as Cygwin, sharing the root system with samba to ONLY my XP machine on the lan so that I could quickly edit config files (suggestions of text-editors for windows that save text output CORRECTLY for unix?). I want to be able to access the MySQL server from my windows box using mysqlcc and navicat.

My Windows box is a P4 3.0ghz machine, w/512mb 400mhz ram.

My (hopefully soon) linux box is an AMD K6/2 333 mhz w/256mb pc100 ram and a 10gig ata/33. (I know it's a piece, but hey, linux should be able to run with it.)

Initially I was going to run FreeBSD, but I have been experimenting with different distros. FreeBSD gave me a few problems, and I am not sure if I can use regular RPMS with it or not. I tried Mandrake 10.1 and it bombed. I got RedHat 9 running with the distro from LinuxISO.org, but after running the up2date I had problems, which I eventually resolved... UNTIL I tried to remove the old MySQL and install the new rpm. I probably should not have let the Anaconda installer add it in from the beginning. But anyways, after I did a forced rpm -replacefiles and screwed everything up good.

Does anyone know of a good server distro to reccomend that would best suit my needs? I do not really need an x-server running on the machine, I just need the samba, apache, php, mysql and ssh. (Preferrably the latest stable releases of each of the needed packages and kernel)

Also if anyone has any ideas or reccomendations of good remote access tools (freeware) for a windows box, I'd love your input.

Debian or Slackware. These major distro's are suited for older machines. There are probably much more out there but these two are stable and reliable and known to run well on older hardware.

Just Joined!

thanks for the tip

I'll go check it out.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I run debian stable on a P166MMX with 128mb memory as a webserver.
    It's certainly not the fastest configuration, but fast enough for testing purposes.

I use Putty to connect to the server, also you might take a look at bitvise tunnelier.

Just Joined!

Slackware

I have downloaded the first two disks and installed.... that was a good reccommendation. I had to learn a lot more about things to do it. I had a grub boot loader on my mbr that didnt go away when I did the lilo install (automatic) and so I had to do a little work with it. I think my cd rom is screwed up or I'm just using old CDR's cause I am burning them with nero at the slowest possible rate and keep getting errors in packages installs, saying they're corrupt, though my md5sums are good. This has been a problem on all the distros I have tried. I only had 3 packages fail on a custom install of slackware I did last night. Then i did installpkg on those from the cd again and it didn't report any problems, though I am new to installpkg. X11 was one of them, JRE another, and Mozilla.. Still working on the xorgconf to get it right. startx looked like it was gonna kill my monitor after I did xorgconf once... Maybe the X server is still corrupted? Anyways, thanks for the tip. It was a great learning experience.... Now maybe I'll upgrade to the newest kernel.

You could try reinstalling the X11 software. I don't use Slack so IIRC it is possible using upgradepkg --reinstall <path/to/pkg/pkgname> to reinstall a package. Use man upgradepkg or man pkgtools to read more about pkgtools in Slackware.