Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am running Fedora CORE 3 on one computer, and FC2 on another. I finally got some help with enabling apache (httpd actually), so that it works on boot. But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up PHP and MySQL

I am running Fedora CORE 3 on one computer, and FC2 on another. I finally got some help with enabling apache (httpd actually), so that it works on boot. But now I want to get PHP and MySQL working with it. It looks like PHP is set up with Apache already, because it did this durring installation of the operating system, but it seems like it is a matter of enabling PHP and MySQL.

I get a error in the apache (httpd) error log when a php page with phpinfo() is viewed.

Here is the error I get in the apache log:
    [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning: Unknown(/var/www/html/users/index.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0
    [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning: (null)(): Failed opening '/var/www/html/users/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in Unknown on line 0
    Any help would be nice. Thanks.

Re: Setting up PHP and MySQL

Quote Originally Posted by version2
    Permission denied
    that part looks interesting. does the apache user have access to the users subdirectory?

the easiest thing to test php is to create a phpinfo file in a directory that you already know apache can read, like /var/www/html/

create a file called phpinfo.php and place it inside that dir. the file should only have this code

Code:
    <?php
    phpinfo&#40;&#41;;
    ?>
    and then try to hit the page

Just Joined!

Re: Setting up PHP and MySQL

Quote Originally Posted by jledhead
    Quote Originally Posted by version2
    Permission denied
    that part looks interesting. does the apache user have access to the users subdirectory?

the easiest thing to test php is to create a phpinfo file in a directory that you already know apache can read, like /var/www/html/

create a file called phpinfo.php and place it inside that dir. the file should only have this code

Code:
    <?php
    phpinfo&#40;&#41;;
    ?>
    and then try to hit the page
    Thats what I thought I did, and that was the error I got: inside the apache error log. I'll try again though.

EDIT:
    I get a blank page. Nothing outputted.
    This is what is in the error log now:
    [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning: Unknown(/var/www/html/phpinfo.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0
    [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning: (null)(): Failed opening '/var/www/html/phpinfo.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in Unknown on line 0

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Im gonna bet that the apache webroot isnt user writable so you made the file as root. Try
    Code:
    chmod 777 /var/www/html/phpinfo.php
    as root then retry viewing the file.