Find the answer to your Linux question:
We are looking into Apache James to see if it serves our requirements. Wondering if someone can share an opinion on this. We want a SMTP, POP , IMAP server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Good email server solution

We are looking into Apache James to see if it serves our requirements. Wondering if someone can share an opinion on this. We want a SMTP, POP , IMAP server which has a webmail interface to manage emails. Is Apache James the best solution or is there a better email server out there that can manage all of these.

We are also looking for a Shared calendar server on linux, any suggestions please.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Just Joined!
    u might try postfix or qmail (+webmail).
    configuration is not difficult and u can find doc anywhere. I use postfix as i dont need multiple domains on my server.
    my server = postfix, fetchmail, procmail + clamav/spamassassin

Re: Good email server solution

Quote Originally Posted by bindweb
    We are looking into Apache James to see if it serves our requirements. Wondering if someone can share an opinion on this. We want a SMTP, POP , IMAP server which has a webmail interface to manage emails. Is Apache James the best solution or is there a better email server out there that can manage all of these.

We are also looking for a Shared calendar server on linux, any suggestions please.

Thanks a lot for your time.
    I use sendmail I host multiple domains and was simple to setup. It comes preinstalled on almost every distro.
    That is what I use.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I use sendmail I host multiple domains and was simple to setup. It comes preinstalled on almost every distro.
    well, postfix is "sendmail compatible" to a certain extent and a good alternative.

Just Joined!
    what other things do you run alongside sendmail? i am currently running qmail, with courier-imap, vpopmail, and squirrelmail. I quite like squirrelmail, does it work with sendmail or is there an alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by hdcleaver
    what other things do you run alongside sendmail? i am currently running qmail, with courier-imap, vpopmail, and squirrelmail. I quite like squirrelmail, does it work with sendmail or is there an alternative?
    squirrelmail works right out of the box with fedora/redhat. All I had to do is put the name and Ip in the squirrelmail.conf file.
    I run web apache with virtual domains, samba, pop3, imap, dns, smtp, you know the usual stuff.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds