Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to setup a SAMBA share that people can read/write. I can see the share on other computers however i can't open it. I get an "Authorisation Dialog" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba share

I am trying to setup a SAMBA share that people can read/write.
    I can see the share on other computers however i can't open it.
    I get an "Authorisation Dialog" window.
    What must i do to the share such that no username/password is required.

Just Joined!
    I sorted it.

Just Joined!

SAMBA share

I have been messing around with SAMBA and have basically been successful. I am able to share my files out to windows xp systems have have run into that Authorized dialog window myself. I have found that just because you give someone access to a share in SAMBA doesn't make it work. You will have to browse to that directory and give permissions properly. If you use the gui follow the below:

Right click on the appropriate folder
    Left click on properties
    Click on the Permissions tab.

From there you will see two main sections. First the access permission section on top. Give the appropriate groups the appropriate rights (view, view & modify, or forbidden). Then you will need to make sure that the correct group has the correct ownership. That should fix your problem.

I also have a question for anyone who can answer. I was able to successfully connect to a windows xp box to use the printer connected to it. For some reason that has stopped working. I have been configuring both DNS and DHCP conf files but never really activated them so I don't think that could be the cause. I am getting the below error message:

Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds..... ERROR: Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL.

I am able to grab files from my linux box (Fedora3) to that same xp system so I know they are communicating. Has anyone had any history with that error message.

Thanks!

Noah