Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks to the both of you. I've read through a good bit of documentation on the postfix web page but couldn't fid the answer, but it could very well be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thanks to the both of you. I've read through a good bit of documentation on the postfix web page but couldn't fid the answer, but it could very well be that I didn't know what to look for with this being my first email server setup.

Also Dolda2k, I started reading the docs on the netfilter page. The docs and howto's have been quite helpful. Once I have the smtp auth part down I hope to secure the server for use on the outside. The last two hurdles I hope. Outlook Express is showing some problems here and there with imap but certainly not a show stopper.

Thanks again.

BD

Linux Guru
    I'm not surprised that Outlook Express is showing IMAP problems. Microsoft's IMAP implementation is well known for being severely broken, so I'd almost be surprised if it had worked.

Just Joined!
    I'm a bit confused here. Redhat just released postfix 1.1.11-11 to there up2date network yet SASL requires snapshot-20000507 or later. What's up with that?

I've compiled postfix 2+ on redhat 9 a few weeks ago without incedent so I don't think theres a compatability issue. I am running the 1.1.11-11 with my current install.

I searched rpmfind and found that redhat 9's version is indeed 1.1.11-11. Does this mean that 'they' (redhat) just haven't ok'd a more recent version for their distro?

What version should I be running in order to use SASL without administering a patch?

Thanks.
    BD

Linux Guru
    RedHat never releases newer versions than those that were shipped with the distro over up2date. The only thing you get is new releases of the same version that contains bugfixes and stuff. That is to ensure compatibilty with other components in the system.

Just Joined!
    Well, I've upgraded my version of postfix and installed cyrus-sasl. I've made changes to my 'main.cf' file in etc/postfix and added the smtpd.conf file in /usr/local/lib/sasl/.

The problem is that when I send mail to the server (the smtp server accepts it without auth) the maillog tells me that 'smtp_sasl_auth_enable is set to true but SASL support is not compiled in.

I followed the install.html from the sasl source install exactly. It seems to have installed fine and without error.

Any suggestions?
    BD

Linux Guru
    You might have to give some extra option to ./configure. Or did you do that?

Just Joined!
    I did not configure SASL with the correct options on the first install but I went back and did use the correct config options. Am i screwed at this point? A stupid mistake on my part, I know.

I'm still getting the same error in the mailog.

Thanks Dolda2000!

BD

Linux Guru
    No, as long as you install over the last installation and restart the service, you should be fine. However, try running "make clean" in the source tree to clear all old object files that might not get updated with the new configuration.

Just Joined!
    Well, it appears that I need to compile sasl support into postfix. I've reinstalled sasl with all of the correct options and still no go.

Since I'm using PAM for authentication, I will need to configure a separate module to encrypt the passwords.

Could I get by without sasl and use SSL for courier imap instead? Or should I still incorporate SMTP AUTH?

BD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2