Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I finally got my Linux mail server up and running (locally). I'm running RedHat 9 ~ Postfix ~ Courier Imap. Before I set it up with a public IP I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Firewall settings for email server

I finally got my Linux mail server up and running (locally). I'm running RedHat 9 ~ Postfix ~ Courier Imap. Before I set it up with a public IP I want have the security settings correct. I have been using the 'Security' GUI in RH to configure the firewall settings. Any suggestions as to how I should set up my server before I place it on the outside?

Keep in mind that I am a Linux newbie and this is my first attempt to configuring an email box.

Thanks.

BD

Linux User

Just Joined!
    Excellent! I just brushed over a few pages so far. This doc should be very helpful.

Thanks Kriss!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Just need port 25 and 143 open to the outside. I would set a rule to only all connections from your ip to port 22 so you can login to it.

Just Joined!
    Kriss, Is there a way I can mod the Mail Server Firewall script from the link you provided so that it will work with iptables instead of chains? These scripts (for mail server) seem to be pretty tough to come by.

I plan on picking up a book this weekend on iptables.

Thanks!

Linux Guru
    Don't buy a book when you can get free documentation instead. Go to http://www.netfilter.org/ and click your way to the documentation page. Netfilter is the core technology behind iptables.

Just Joined!
    Dolda2000 to the rescue!

Thank you kindly.

Just Joined!
    How do i reject an unknown user from logging into my smtp server and sending mail? I would like to reject anyone who does not have a user account specified on the machine.

This server will need to accept any IP range (clients will neet to be able to connect from ever changing IP's etc.) I only want authenticated users to use the server. Sort of like a POP-before-SMTP. Postfix doesn't seem to support smtp logins.

Any suggestions?

BD

Linux Guru
    The only real solution in my opinion is a SMTP server that requires authentication. I don't know what MTAs support it, since I haven't had to set one up, but personally, I wouldn't settle for anything less. I'd be surprised if Postfix doesn't support it, though.

Linux Engineer
    You can use sasl auth with postfix. On my email server, I use pop before smtp authentication. Which means when they check their email, it add their ip address to a relays file which gives them access to send out email for 30min.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast