Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am in the middle of putting together a pentium 2 350 as a file server. I am just wanting to know a few things. I am also going to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Setting Up a File Server

I am in the middle of putting together a pentium 2 350 as a file server. I am just wanting to know a few things. I am also going to use it as a firewall so that the internet will come into a network card, and then i will have a second network card that will run to my router, and out to the other machines. My question is to do this what do I need to have running software wise on my machine to make this happen?
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd

Just Joined!
    if you want a http fileserver i'd reccommend apache if you want ftp fileserver i'd say proftpd, ofcourse you can also do both.

Linux Newbie
    I am so sorry about this. I am a complete noob with all this. how would i go about setting one up.
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd

Just Joined!
    type this first to check if you got one of them:

Code:
    apache -v
    apache2 -v
    proftpd -v
    see wich ones give output (they will print the version)

for apache you can type the ip address of the machine running linux in your favo browser and you should see :
    Code:
    If you can see this, it means that the installation of the Apache web server software on this system was successful. You may now add content to this directory and replace this page.
    now you can add an index file in /var/www and thats the start of your website/fileserver
    (this applies for both but you probably have only one of them)

if you have proftpd you can type :
    Code:
    sudo proftpd start
    and then login with an ftpclient to the linuxmachine with the user you usually login to the machine
    if you dont have any of them (so all commands from the beginning say something like: bash: proftpd: command not found) tell us then we'll help you install it