Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I think I'll go someone on their nerves but I just can't help my self. I'm planning to setup an email server just for fun - experimental. I know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

another email server question (nb)

Hi,

I think I'll go someone on their nerves but I just can't help my self.

I'm planning to setup an email server just for fun - experimental. I know I'll need postfix because it is better than sendmail (It was stated on lots of web pages).

Now the tricky part is:
    1) do I need a domain for me to use email server or is it enough to have public IP.

2) which program to use to setup pop3 server.

3) any tutorials or better yet books

Regards,

Flade

Re: another email server question (nb)

Quote Originally Posted by fladé
    Hi,

I think I'll go someone on their nerves but I just can't help my self.

I'm planning to setup an email server just for fun - experimental. I know I'll need postfix because it is better than sendmail (It was stated on lots of web pages).
    that is a matter of opinion I use sendmail and like it a lot. It is really flexible and it easy to configure. I am not bad mouthing postfix but I think all mail servers have their problems.

Domain names are cheap if you have an IP buy a domain it will be fun too.
    then you can have an ip address like
    joeblo@mydomainname.com

your distro (of which you never stated) should have a decsent pop3 server it will just be a matter of turning it on.

I like O'Reileys books.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    I'm running Ubuntu as it's quite easy to setup.

For pop3 I was looking in qpopper, any other good ?

I use IP in organisation that I work in and I'll use just IP address for testing. Server will have about 10 to 20 users that will use this email server just for organizations internal needs no external access will be neccessery. So in this point I think domain name will not be in use - just IP.

Open for other opinions ?

Regards,

Flade

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That sounds fine.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds