Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

File server setup

Hello,

sorry, this will be a simpe question.

I have set up a SOL linux server with apache 2.0
    I am now looking for a simpe way to put files on the machine. Not only the web content, i would like to use it as a file server also.
    Should i go and set up some FTP server kinda solution, or is there something way better out there?
    I want to upload the files from my winxp machine, connected to the same LAN.

Thanks in advance for any reactions.

You may want to look into Samba. Most distros include samba, and it is quite effective and relatively easy to configure; swat is a graphical interface for configuration (you can also use webmin if available for your distro) and it can even tie into Windows domains, or even act as a Windows domain controller.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Thanks

This is what i was looking for.
    Now to find out how to configure

Thanks for the tip!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Configuring

Quote Originally Posted by Freggle
    Now to find out how to configure
    check this out.

10 minute guide to linux fileserver

I used it when I set up my first linux fileserver and it worked great. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SlashPrompt
    check this out.

10 minute guide to linux fileserver

I used it when I set up my first linux fileserver and it worked great. Good luck!

Year and a half later and this .pdf still holds true. Worked for me and my Fedora Core 5 system today - beautifully in fact. Nice find.

-Capt