Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What is the correct way to wire up my home network? I have 3 computers and one printer, a 5 port switch, adsl modem. pc1 = suse 9.2, (printer connected ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Home Networking Help

What is the correct way to wire up my home network? I have 3 computers and one printer, a 5 port switch, adsl modem.

pc1 = suse 9.2, (printer connected here)
    pc2 = win98, but running Knoppix 3.8 live cd
    pc3 = win98 laptop
    printer = hp

I want to share files with all 3 pc's, be able to print from any pc. I have been working on setting up a samba server on the suse pc. I have the modem connected to the switch, and then the 3 pc's connected to the switch.

- All 3 pc's have internet access
    - pc2 and pc3 can see each other and share files, no pc1 on either
    (pc2 can see pc3 with win98 or knoppix running)
    - pc1 can only see itself in the network

Ive been working on samba with no luck, i thought maybe i had it wired wrong. Would pc1 need 2 nic's, then run from my modem to pc1, then out of pc1 to the switch, then connect pc2 & pc3 to the switch.

I thougt I would post and ask this before I hose what I have and start over.
    Registered Linux user #388374
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
    Albert Einstein, (1879 - 1955)

Just Joined!
    Is every device that has an ethernet port connected to the switch?

Linux Newbie
    Yes, the modem is in port 1, and the other 3 pc's are connected to the switch.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    That seems strange to me... All the computers should see each other no problem. Did you check the workgroup names, ip addresses, etc...?

HTH

Mike

Just Joined!
    Greetings,

Your connectivity seems fine, did you tried to ping all the computers connected as a ping wud confirm that whether you are able to communicate with the computers or not and then configure the Samba on the Suse to make a windows and a linux pc talk to each other.

I am not familiar with suse but still the following link can be of help once you make sure that the two systems are able to communicate with each other.
    http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_1.htm

Regards

Linux Newbie
    I can ping all 3 computers, they can see each other that way. Im sure im overlooking something very simple. All 3 have the same workgroup name, although with knoppix im not sure, in works just as win98 does. Im so used to yast, i will have to learn more about these settings in knoppix. I figured the knoppix would see the suse bo with no problems, but that didnt happen.

Ive been reading everything i can find on samba, it seems very straight forward, but it just isnt working for me yet. I might need to trim smb.conf down to just a few basic lines and build/test it gradually. It may have to do with something else, Ive heard about the suse firewall giving problems.

Just Joined!

No samba no cifs networking

Hi,

i've been reading your post and it seems that all you cinnections are wel done. I think that the main probles are the samba server configuration, you will need samba running on all your linux boxes to have access to any cifs (windows) network file sharing.

Other important thing to check (allways) is the DNS configuration, check where is your local and forwarder servers.

Be shure that no firewall rule are blocking your networking.

Just Joined!
    Check out the official how-to at samba.org for help with Samba.

Just Joined!
    this is very easy to fix this happens to me a lot. Even when I was all windows. What I do I go into windows and type in the address bar \\computername replace computername the the hostname so if I called my cmomputer matthew I would do \\matthew

i didnt get catch what msg43 was saying. i have also been having a little trouble with this. right now, i have samba on my linux box (fedora core 3) and wanting it to connect with my laptop (windows).
    What I do I go into windows and type in the address bar \\computername replace computername the the hostname so if I called my cmomputer matthew I would do \\matthew
    not sure what he is talking about

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast