Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Server?

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Server?

I want to make a server with linus I was wondering, what Linux to use. Also how much RAM,HD space and other PC specs. I am planning on making a tech site with forums, reveiws, pics , and maybe videos. Thanks in advanced

~Techtabs.com~

Tthat depends on how many concurrent users , how much bandwidth you will need, how big the site is going to be etc.

So please provide more details.
    I\'m so tired .....

Well right now we have no users or anything, so could you just give me the kind of Linux best. I will just max the RAM and all that. Also I plan on having an E-mail server

~TechTabs.com~

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Please help, would Debien(sp?) be useful?

~techtabs~

Are you planning on running this at home? It'll be a strain on your connection, and setting it up is tricky (I've never used MySQL or any mail server, because at least SQL is complicated, and I have no use for either).

I would have to personally recommend slackware for it however.

Linux Newbie
    I am currently using XAMMP (on SuSE 9.1), made by

www.apachefriends.orgen/xampp.html

If you just want to get a server up and running, it will give you a web server, with PHP, Perl, MySQL, Webalizer (shows stats of visitors). Some of the pros will think this is a shortcut and that I cant set it up manually. They would be right but I do plan to change that. Just make sure you read the instructions on the site as initially the server configuration is rather "open".
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Quote Originally Posted by TechTabs
    Well right now we have no users or anything, so could you just give me the kind of Linux best. I will just max the RAM and all that. Also I plan on having an E-mail server

~TechTabs.com~
    Well, if you've got no users, you don't really need a server.

In order to give relevant advice, we'd need to know what sort of capacity you anticipate providing - if your aim is to support thousands of concurrent users you'll need a rather beefier box than if you're only planning on supporting a few dozen hits a week.

Well I am just starting so , I hope a couple of 100 a week. Will it lag my internet connection?

Linux Newbie
    It shouldn't do, only if you are transfering large amounts of data such as a file server. I am hosting a site on a 1mbps down and 256kpbs up and I have no lack in bandwidth.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

OK thanks to all , I think I will attemp to try this now. What linux should I use?