Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Heya guys ... I was pondering something this weekend when working on my shell for my eggies and some other things, and i was wondering ... how exactly do they ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

A DNS Server

Heya guys ... I was pondering something this weekend when working on my shell for my eggies and some other things, and i was wondering ... how exactly do they create those spiffy vhosts .. like mine is *blushes* my.girlfriend.dumped.me.cuz.i.was.toogoofy.com (don't ask) and i was just wondering how in the heck they can do that. my shell provider runs Redhat on their serves, so it dawned on me that I should be able to do the same thing with a few domains i have registered. but i talked to my friend who runs my ISP and he gave me some speech about registrating crap other then the domain name and blah blah blah was about all i heard after about ten minutes. Sooo ... to some up this novel of a post, could i just use something as simple as the DNS server i installed when i first installed RH8? and if so .. is it easy to do or should i look elsewhere to learn a abit more about it. ?

as always ... thanks for any and all help guys,
    -Brandon C. Brown
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

What exactly is it that you want to do? It may just be me, but I can't figure it out from your post.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

flw
    Linux Engineer
    At least I wasn't the only one confused
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Me 3

Sub domains arnt anything to do with DNS its your server. What server are you using if its apache read these ->

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/examples.html

and

http://www.cfdev.com/apache/virtualhosts.cfm

Linux Newbie
    basically what i meant to get at was something simpler then the way i tried to explain it. okay ... here is a scenario that i may want to do.

I want to run my own webserver right? right. to do that i know i would need to use a web serving program .. and most likely that would be Apache. thats all up and running and everything is honky dory ... but what then? well then i would need to know the box's IP in order for people to be able to visit the site, correct? correct. BUT ... what if i wanted to change the Numeral IP to a registered domain I have. ie ... lets say my IP is like

62.134.32.44 but instead of always wanting that, i'd rather have it set up so that people could type in www.hacky-sack.net into their browser and go straight to the site. I always thought that had to do with DNS servers and what not.

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

I get you now. You will have to use some type of dynamic DNS service. I use www.dyndns.org but just search google for more.

Linux Newbie
    hey Ol Man, I checked out that site and read around a bit and couldn't quite understand what it was saying it provided. could it work for a dynamic IP like mine since i am only on a dial up? if so then that would be pretty awesome.

it looked to my like it supported dynamic ips i was looking into it cause that would be nice to way to resovle the changing ip on my cable modem. but i dont know if it would work well with my modem. but it looks like it works fine with dynamic ip
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Yes its used for dynamic ip's. Thay have got many clients for updating your ip i use the ddclient. But they have a few scripts and programs for windows so you can update your ip on all machines. There a good service i have a few custom accounts with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast