Find the answer to your Linux question:
Samba has confused me beyond all reason at this point someone please help. I have a desktop that has Mandriva on it and a laptop with xp professional. I set ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba Please Help!!!

Samba has confused me beyond all reason at this point someone please help. I have a desktop that has Mandriva on it and a laptop with xp professional. I set up the samba server and can connect to it on my laptop, however I can not access any of the folders. I went into the smb.conf file and enabled the tmp file

[tmp]
    comment = Temporary file space
    path = /tmp
    read only = no
    public = yes

that works perfectly fine and I can access it on the laptop. When I try and use a similar logic to share any folder that is on my desktop or anywhere else it will not work. Someone please help.

Thanks,

Matthew

Just Joined!

File system permissions

That seems to me a file system folder permissions problem.

You can use your /tmp folder because it may be writeable for "others" users. You can set 777 permissions to the folders that you want to share and then in the smb.conf share configuration you can use the <valid users> option.

God luck!

Just Joined!
    I chmod the folder I was sharing and still no dice. Its weird I think it should be working, it just isn't.

Matthew

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    you need to create smb users like this
    smbpasswd -a username

do this on the server that is serving samba.

note:
    This is so much easier if you do this with the same username and passwords as the box.
    for example

if you have a username that you login with named mickey
    then
    smbpasswd -a mickey
    then you will be prompted with a password use the same password as your login
    Make sense?
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    It worked perfect thanks! I tried to do the username the other day but I didn't use my login name I tried to create a guest account and it just wouldn't work. THANKS. So glad to have this working,

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by mstanford01
    It worked perfect thanks! I tried to do the username the other day but I didn't use my login name I tried to create a guest account and it just wouldn't work. THANKS. So glad to have this working,

Matthew
    I am glad that fixed it. Happy samba-ing haha

MIke
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds