Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello im having a problem getting windows to see the hostname of my linux computer. when i ping my hostname (dellgx1) on the comp which has the hostname it finds ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hostname probs

hello im having a problem getting windows to see the hostname of my linux computer. when i ping my hostname (dellgx1) on the comp which has the hostname it finds it ad returns this
    Code:
    [root@dellgx1 ~]# ping dellgx1
    PING dellgx1 (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from dellgx1 (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.235 ms
    64 bytes from dellgx1 (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.180 ms
    64 bytes from dellgx1 (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.180 ms
    64 bytes from dellgx1 (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.180 ms
    64 bytes from dellgx1 (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.172 ms
    64 bytes from dellgx1 (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.178 ms
    64 bytes from dellgx1 (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.176 ms
    64 bytes from dellgx1 (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.179 ms
    64 bytes from dellgx1 (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=0.182 ms
    64 bytes from dellgx1 (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=0.174 ms
    64 bytes from dellgx1 (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=0.174 ms
    ^[
    --- dellgx1 ping statistics ---
    11 packets transmitted, 11 received, 0% packet loss, time 10008ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.172/0.182/0.235/0.023 ms, pipe 2
    [root@dellgx1 ~]#
    as you can see, it found the hostname perfectly
    but when i ping it in windows it says
    "Ping request could not find host dellgx1."
    >>EDIT: when i ping the actual ipadress of the machine in windows, it pings it completly fine.
    i dont know what the problem is.
    im using a router, and it might have somthing to do witht that, but this comp and the windows comp are on the same network.
    thanks.
    YET ANOTHER EDIT: when i go to the dhcp client tabel of the router, it displays all the hostnames of the computers i have connected to it, except for the linux one which i am having problems with. the computer is properly named i believe. i can attach a screen shot of the client tabel if that helps, but i dont think it will.

Linux Newbie
    If you are only using a small network then you could add an entry to your Windows' HOSTS file found normally in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts , just add the computer name with its IP as shown in the example, I have to do this in Windows to access my web server by its full address otherwise it tries to contact outside of my network to find it has to come back in and normally fails. It also helps to make sure links work as if I follow a link, WinXP wouldn't be able to find it without the hosts entries.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the reply.
    so, i guess what your saying is that windows cant find the hostname, unless its in its list of known hosts. ill try what you said and see if it works, thanks.
    on another note my other linux machine is having hostname problems with my windowsxp machine. the problem is this: when i open my dhcp client table on my router to see which computers are connected and thier names, my linux mahcine is taking on whatever name is assigned to the windowsxp machine. so if my windows machine was names computer1 and my linux machine was named computer2, the router would see them as both being named computer1. any ideas?

thanks

Linux Newbie
    Is it possible to allocate IPs based on the MAC address from your router? This would mean that you can allocate an IP to each computer and might help to separate them apart. This is only a possible suggestion as DHCP server stuff is still on my "To Do" list.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Just Joined!
    this is a possiblity, but i dontknow that it would fix the problem, since the problem is with the hostname and not the ip adress. thanks for the reply though. it might be just that windows machine (the one assigning the hostname to the linux one when its not supposed to.) and not the linux computer. ill check and see with my other machines.

thanks. if any1 else has any ideas that'll be cool

Just Joined!

the plot thickens

hello, i just looked at the dhcp client tables from another windows machine. its not naming that one linux machine like me other xp machine was. ill attach a screen shot this time, since i think it will help you guys get a better idea of my situation.

here:

any ideas?

Just Joined!
    so... i guess no1 has any ideeas