Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey I'm just curious about what anyone's specs are for their server. I'm planning on making one and would like to know what works well for you and probably what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What's in you're box?

Hey I'm just curious about what anyone's specs are for their server. I'm planning on making one and would like to know what works well for you and probably what hasn't.

Linux Engineer
    Pentium MMX 200Mhz / 64mb RAM / 4gb HD
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Mine is a an old DELL Desktop PC with some extra memory installed.

933Mhz
    384Mb RAM
    20Gb HDD

It's only serving 2 users with IMAP and Webmail so doesn't need much beefcake.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have AMD Seperon (eek!) 2800+, 512MB RAM, 120GB hdd. I'm soon going to get a dedicated http server which will be PII, 256MB RAM, 20GM hdd.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

I am using an old Gateway P2, 350Mhz with 256MB of RAM, 6GB and 12GB harddrives. I am currently hosting three different low-traffic sites (about 10-15 unique visitors a day, combined), email, ssh and ftp. Nothing major, but it seems to do the job just fine!

I haven't determined what the max load would be on this server, but I am sure it still has plenty of room!
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

I have an old Dell Poweredge 2550 system (PIII 866, 512Mb memory) and a Sun Netra that I picked up from a company that was going out of business in a "work for equipment" deal. I haven't really messed with the Netra yet, though.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    i am using a pentium 3 500 Mhz, 192 RAM, 4 gig hd. It seems to run just fine now, but my site doesn't even get 10 hits a day. I really should figure out the load it can take. I expect my site will, once I have it fully operational, to be getting more like 20-50 hits a day.

Does apache automatically keep track of hit information? Is there a program I can get to do that for me in case it doesnt?

thanks!

Yeah, apache keeps both access and error logs by default. There are log analyzer programs that will read and parse your access log to give you more meaningful information.

I would reccommend awstats as a very solid and easy to configure log analyzer...
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Quote Originally Posted by serz
    Pentium MMX 200Mhz / 64mb RAM / 4gb HD
    Cool. I was worrying that nobody uses old boards anymore. This gives me a bit of hope. By the way is that the highest CPU you're board can take. Because if it is a CyrixMX pr200 would be much better for a server. This is because Cyrix beat Intel with it's PR200 and were know for being good for business machines. But they had a low FPU(which is used in gaming) which made Intel more popular.

Just Joined!
    Intel N440BX with 2 PIII 500mhz, 512MB ECC Registered RAM, 1 15GB hdd, 1 250GB hdd. FreeBSD 5.4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast