Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would really appreciate someones help. Last week I managed set up a basic webserver using Fedora Core 3 and Apache. In my wisdom I decided to install Fedora Core ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Last week I managed set up a basic webserver and now its not working

I would really appreciate someones help.

Last week I managed set up a basic webserver using Fedora Core 3 and Apache. In my wisdom I decided to install Fedora Core 4 and Apache using the same settings I did in Fedora Core 3 and guess what its not working now lol. I would like to know where I am going wrong or there is anything else I need to set up again. This is my set up I hope it is clear enough and I am sure this is what I did last time when it worked.

1) I have registered a domain name at dyndns.org inside the control panel the domain name is pointing at my wan ip address.
    I have checked my ip against the one dyndns.org and they are both the same.

2) Apache has been started and is running when I enter 192.168.1.3 in my browser it takes me to the default Apache page.

Inside my http.conf I have set listen to 192.168.1.3:80 I have saved this stopped Apache and restarted Apache

I have not changed anything else in the http.conf file apart from this.

3) I have set my router to forward on port 80 to the ipaddress of this machine which is 192.168.1.3

4) I have turned off SELINUX whatever this is, excuse my ignorance im still learning Linux

5) My firewall is enabled in Fedora

6) I have been to a few websites to scan my ports and they are all saying that Port 80 is open which means my IP is not blocking it.

7) I have set up my hosts file and added the line
    192.168.1.3 adrian-is.a.geek.org

Last week the above set up worked a treat, when I asked people to test my domain name they where being taken to default Apache page. I also checked my Apache logs and saw the different IP addresses.

Nothing works this time around. I cannot understand where I am going wrong. Your help and advice would be really appreciated. Am I missing something out here.

Linux Newbie
    Is your DynDNS name adrian-is.a.geek.org? Because that doesn't exist.
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

Just Joined!
    sorry it is adrian.is-a-geek.org my mistake

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hang on I might have seen where I am going wrong here. I think I have been giving out thw wrong address I am such a plank.

Could you try http://adrian.is-a-geek.org

Linux Newbie
    hehe, that one works a treat.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for your help. This is the second time I have set up a basic server now. This time I am going to write down what I did and not lose it and also list what I need to look out for.

Mission accomplished!!!

My next mission will be to install PHP and get MYSQL running, then I can test my scripts across the network without having to FTP to my webhosts all the time.

Linux Newbie
    PHP is pretty simple, thankfully.. Good luck with MySQL however, I've never got my head around it.