Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I am planning on builing a new web server for hosting a web site, ftp server, and a mail server. i think off hand right nowthe biggest hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Setting up new server

Hey everyone, I am planning on builing a new web server for hosting a web site, ftp server, and a mail server. i think off hand right nowthe biggest hard drive i have is a 6gb, and ram size of about 64 i guess. i probably have some sticks lying around to update that though. so i have a few questions. i have a wireless router, which must stay b/c a couple pc's downstairs is using the wireless. any suggestions on what distro to use, what features? i had a server running clark connect, and it worked fine, but i want something different now. that was working as good as i wanted. could anyone help me with this. how to set it up, how to get the server to host the web site (going to buy a domain, dont have it yet), etc. basically help starting from the beginning to the end)
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

*bump*
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

Linux Newbie
    I have tried a few different distros for running web servers and I have always found myself returning to SuSE. First of all I have been using Xampp which is an all-in-one web, ftp, php, mysql and webalizer server which is great if you just want to get one site up and running whereby you can have dynamic pages, upload via FTP and see your traffic. The main disadvantage of this great starter pack is flexibility, it does limit you to want you want to do. The installation of PHP and Apache from the SuSE rpms now integrate themselves on there own and gives you much more to play with. With SuSE you also have a large choice of apps to use for FTP and mail so try a few.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Why not stick with what you know works? But if you really wanted to switch I like Debian as a server.

Just Joined!
    I would try Gentoo, FreeBSD or Slackware maybe.. Consider these are not reasy-to-use but it's at my opinion the best to learn fast linux and servers in general... Using a GUI to setup a server isn't really my thing.

Phil

Linux User
    debain or freebsd, youll have to do some configuration. oh and i recomend vsftpd for your ftp deamon.

Linux Newbie
    I second the use of vsftpd as your ftp deamon. It is useful if you want other users hosting sites or uploading as you can lock them into their home directory with ease by enabling chroot jail so they wont go browsing your root file structure.
    The biggest security threat is the user.