Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello.. If I have a website say xyz.com, then please tell me how will a query for a sub-domain say abc.xyz.com be handled? Actually, this abc will be a data ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My server....resolving hostname ?

Hello..
    If I have a website say xyz.com, then please tell me how will a query for a sub-domain say abc.xyz.com be handled? Actually, this abc will be a data intended to be sent to my server. So, how do I get it? Do i have to install DNS server for that? If so, how? And, how exactly does it go about.... Please let me know freely of all your suggestions...
    Regards.

If you want to setup subdomains on a domain name you can use CNAME entrys on your DNS server.

I agree, you will have to add a CNAME to your DNS server. You will also need to add a Virtual Host block to your apache config (assuming you are using apache) to make sure it points to something other than your main domain...
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Just Joined!
    Hi..
    well... as I said, the "abc" in abc.xyz.com would be a data that I would be requiring...... this would not be known previously so this cannot be registered. I think this can also be done in the format say www.xyz.com/abc , however I am not sure about it. Please tell me what happens when a request for such a page is done. If this query comes to the dns server of xyz.com then I think the problem might be solved.
    Please help.
    Thanks.

I think if you say what you want to do it might help, your question is confusing. It sound like you just want to know how DNS works?