Find the answer to your Linux question:
so i have a webserver setup right now. My router forwards all requests from port 80 to that machine. Do I need to do the same for port 22 if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ssh forwarding

so i have a webserver setup right now. My router forwards all requests from port 80 to that machine. Do I need to do the same for port 22 if I want to be able to SSH into the machine? I cant imagine why I wouldnt, I am just at work and unable to alter my network/webserver because I cant ssh into it!!

How would I handle the situation of wanting to be able to ssh into two different machines on my network? Would I just use a different port for one of the machines and use it as ssh?

cheers

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, you need to forward the port. To use two different servers via SSH, you can just change the port, or SSH into one, and then SSH from that to the other machine inside the network.
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeh
    Yeah, you need to forward the port. To use two different servers via SSH, you can just change the port, or SSH into one, and then SSH from that to the other machine inside the network.
    Or you can forward a different port on the outside to 22 on the inside to prevent changing one of the server settings. I.e.: port 4242 on the outside forwards to port 22 on machine2.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    i have it working like a charm.

so convient to not have to send myself stuff over gmail everytime i make a change to the site.

awesome.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeh
    Or you can forward a different port on the outside to 22 on the inside to prevent changing one of the server settings. I.e.: port 4242 on the outside forwards to port 22 on machine2.
    Indeed. I know I can do that with my router, but I don't know if all routers let you do that, so I didn't mention it
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.