Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, At my work place we have exchange 2003 and sendmail Gateway server. we use fetchmail to download mails from internet scan at sendmail server for viruses and spam ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

routing mail through fetchmail

hi all,

At my work place we have exchange 2003 and sendmail Gateway server. we use fetchmail to download mails from internet scan at sendmail server for viruses and spam and then deliver the mail to exchange 2003. The problem is when i use fetchmail to download the mails from the net. I specify the username and password of the mail account which is on net and the administrator account of exchange 2003 to whom mail is to be delivered. but when mail comes administrator keeps all mails with himself and don't route it. Plz tell me how to deliver the mails of respective user to their accounts. We have one mail account on net which holds all the mails of our domain. I it fetchmail or exchange 2003 problem

Thanx

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Well, fetchmail is delivering the mail where you told it to (the administrator account), so it's not a fetchmail problem. How are you telling exchange to forward the mail from the administrator account (assuming it can do such a thing)?

Just Joined!

hi,

If it's not fetchmail problem then how should i handle the situation. Asi have previously told that we have one mail account on internet for our domain which holds mails for all the users. now if i use fetchmail then whom should it deliver the mail to ?. Or in such type of scenario if any tool is suited plz tell me.

thanx

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Well, naturally it should deliver the mail to the account it is actually meant for, rather than the administrator account. Right now, it seems fetchmail is doing exactly as you tell it to: To deliver all mails to the administrator account.

I don't know very much about your actual setup, so it's hard to help in detail. How are the mails to be differentiated from each other (just by the help of the To header?), and how have you currently configured fetchmail? Would you mind posting your fetchmail config file?

As for Exchange 2003, I have no idea whatsoever how it works.

Just Joined!

the fetchmail configuration is:

poll domainname

proto pop3
    port 110
    aka domainname
    user username@domainname
    pass password
    is administrator@domainname
    flush

I am again reminding that the user@domainname is the only account on the net which holds all the mails. Any suugestions are appreciated.

thanx

Linux Guru
    Well, then again: Since all the mails are stored in the same account, how are they actually supposed to be separated from each other? Is it only through the use of the To header, or have you set it up some other way?

Just Joined!

yeah they are distinguished only through the to header. Is there any option in fetchmail to read the to header?

Linux Guru
    I am harshly reminded that I don't know that much about fetchmail in itself.

If this were me, I would make fetchmail route the mails to a specially local account at the local sendmail daemon, and the make it call procmail to route the mails on to the final destination (the Exchange server).

It's possible and likely that fetchmail can do this immediately, but unfortunately, I don't know how.