Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I'm looking to set up an automated backup server in my house. Do you have any reccomendations of programs that have the following features: Automated network backup Checks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Backup Server

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to set up an automated backup server in my house. Do you have any reccomendations of programs that have the following features:
    Automated network backup
    Checks for changes in a file and keeps copies a few of the older versions
    Works with both Windows and OSX

Places with detailed setup instructions would alsoo be nice. I'm not a noob, but I wouldn't call myself a guru and I'm just getting back into Linux.
    Also, any reccomended distro would be nice as well. I don't need any bells and whistles or fancy GUI's it just needs to get the job done.
    Thanks

I would use rsync for this. It only updates changes, so it's less bandwidth-intensive than other backup methods. On the server, you can have a daily cron job to make a tarball of the file tree that you're backing up. This way, you can keep x days worth of snapshots on hand.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    I would use rsync for this. It only updates changes, so it's less bandwidth-intensive than other backup methods. On the server, you can have a daily cron job to make a tarball of the file tree that you're backing up.
    Good way, I use that so.
    Dear u can use backuppc it's high-performance, enterprise-grade system for backuping up

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks...I'll try those out and let you know how it goes once I finish fixing the computer.

Just Joined!
    hard luck