Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys - newbie to Linux, so please bear with me. I have been asked to setup a mail server on Suse 9.2 that will allow internal SMTP mail to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mail Question

Hi guys - newbie to Linux, so please bear with me.

I have been asked to setup a mail server on Suse 9.2 that will allow internal SMTP mail to be sent to it. There will then be 6 client computers running Thunderbird that will then retrieve these mails that will be sent to the server?

I am unsure as to what mail server is avaiable or what one would recommend? I am not looking for anything too large. I would appreciate any advice direction that anyone could provice.

Thanks for your input
    Neilb

Just Joined!
    try this page; http://freshmeat.net/

Linux Guru
    Personally, I've always Sendmail. It just ships with most (all?) Linux distros, and works out-of-the-box with no problems for me. If anything is lacking, it's very easy to configure it to do whatever is lacking, though it's not always easy to figure out just how to configure anything.

As for mail retrieval, I've always been using UW IMAP. It doesn't need configuring at all (in fact, it cannot even be configured). I'm using it chiefly since I'm using Kerberos and UW IMAP is one of the few IMAP servers that supports GSSAPI authentication for Kerberos. However, I'm interested in switching to Dovecot once they get GSSAPI done.

As for the extra perks, I'd recommend procmail, Spamassassin and milter-greylist.

That's just me, though. Every mail server admin probably thinks differently.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    try to visit this http://www.qmailrocks.org/

I was a big sendmail fan initaly, but with a debian install, exim comes prepackaged, while it is more difficult to configure, its ACL system is quite powerful once understood. UW IMAP is my prefered method of mail retreval, its well tested and stable as a rock.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Guru
    I have two chief issues with UW-IMAP:
    1. It doesn't clean up PAM credentials after itself. While not a problem for most people, it fills up /tmp with credential caches if you use Kerberos and pam_krb5.
    2. It doesn't support Maildirs for mail storage. I've long wanted to switch from mboxes to Maildirs, but there is no Maildir-capable server that can handle GSSAPI authentication.

Anyway, UW-IMAP is very good with most vanilla setups. Just keep an eye out if you want to use Maildirs instead, because then UW-IMAP can't do it.

I have used courier-imap with Maildirs and success, while it took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to get it to play well over ssl and the like, it worked well for me. And I would reccommend it to others.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Guys

Thanks for your replies. It appears that the goalpost have been moved on me.

I can use any distribution that I want. The requirements are as follows:

Linux box running a mail sever that will only be servicing for internal mail. The linux box should allow SMTP to be sent to the internal mail accounts that it will be the mail server for.

They now want the clients to connect via a web browser instead of using a mail client like Thuderbird. I believe squirrel will do this?

Is there any linux distributions, e.g. Redhat where alot of this will already be available for me?

Thanks again for all your help guys
    NeilB

Linux Guru
    Yup, Red Hat (or, preferably, Red Hat's successor project, Fedora Core) ships with sendmail, uw-imap, apache and squirrelmail. No extra installation needed.

I'm using Mandrake, with QMail, SauirrelMail and Courier IMAP. I used bits and pieces of this toaster to configure my server. http://www.shupp.org/toaster/