Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to install MySQL on FedoraCore3. I try the following from the site and its very well written and helpfull except its not working out for me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help on installing/uninstalling MySQL

Hi,

I am trying to install MySQL on FedoraCore3. I try the following from the site and its very well written and helpfull except its not working out for me for some reason:
    http://www.devside.net/web/server/linux/mysql
    ./bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &
    is the last step I did

[root@kansai mysql]# ./bin/mysqladmin ping
    ./bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
    The above should work if I install it correctly Correct !!. I google this issue but no one seems to have a solution for me.
    I even try to change the root pwd mysqladmin -u root password test12. Same error message.

Now I've been thinkg may be its the installation so I try the RPM and guess what !!

[root@kansai rrajamukunthan]# rpm -i MySQL-server-4.1.12-1.i386.rpm MySQL-client-4.1.12-1.i386.rpm
    warning: MySQL-server-4.1.12-1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 5072e1f5
    error: Failed dependencies:
    MySQL conflicts with mysql-3.23.58-13.i386

I thought may be Core3 already comes with mysql v 3.23.58 but I couldnt find it.

HELP what am I doing wrong, this is my first time doing this, also is there a way to unstall MySql (is deleting mysql dir woud do it ?)
    At this point I should reinstalling MySQL would be good idea, how do I unstall MySql ? I belive I installed thru source not rpm,
    [root@kansai local]# make uninstall fails with the folloing error
    [root@kansai local]# :cry: make: *** No rule to make target `uninstall'. Stop.

Thanks in advance
    R

using the devside guide, uninstalling should be as easy as deleting the folder and/or symlink /usr/local/mysql and /usr/local/mysql....version#..

then make sure there are no rpms installed already. rpm -v mysql-server

to unstall (if its there) rpm -e mysql-server
    also do mysql-client, mysql-common

then try the guide from devside. I have used the devside guide and it works very nice for me.

Just Joined!
    thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close