Find the answer to your Linux question:
I really hope someone here can help me. I just started a new job doing IT work and found that the previous person left a Linux Redhat 7.2 machine running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Email server help

I really hope someone here can help me. I just started a new job doing IT work and found that the previous person left a Linux Redhat 7.2 machine running the company's email server. I have no idea how to maintain this such as adding and removing email accounts. I've done some research and have found there are multiple ways of hosting email. How can I find out which mail server is being used? I should mention that I know almost nothing about Linux.

The server is just at a command prompt asking for login and password to root@mail. I can login fine but after that I'm clueless

The clients are checking their email from their own machines using Outlook or Outlook Express.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Guru
    To learn the Linux shell, see this site:
    http://www.linuxcommand.org/
    It refers to starting an xterm or similar program to get a shell. That is because it focuses on the user coming from the GUI. xterm is a graphical terminal emulator that is commonly used. It also mentions rxvt, konsole, kvt, gnome-terminal, nxterm, and eterm. Those are other terminal emulators, more or less commonly used.
    Since you don't come from any GUI, don't care about that. The shell is the same whether it's run from a graphical terminal emulator or from an actual text terminal, so the same things apply when they actually get started on the shell itself.
    You might simply want to skip to lesson two directly. But do check out lesson one, at least. It has one or two interesting points.

To find out what mailer you're using, the easiest way is probably to telnet to the SMTP port and see what response you get.

You might find it worthwhile checking out Linux a little... you might actually find it to your liking. ;-)

Just Joined!
    Dolda thanks so much for the reply. After I Telnet to SMTP it reported ESMTP sendmail. Now this company has about 30 employees and they all have email accounts that they access through Outlook or Outlook express. I tried creating an account in Outlook for myself on a laptop on the network but it gave an error. How do I add a new email account on the server?

Linux Guru
    That depends on how this server is configured, but probably you simply add a new user account for your self. Use the adduser command, run "man adduser" to see how it works. After you have created the user, use the passwd command to set the password for th user. Same there: run "man passwd" to see how that one works.

Just Joined!
    Is there way I can pull up a list of all the users that have been added?

Linux Engineer
    /etc/passwd would contain all the users unless the server is setup with virtual users. It might be a good idea for you to install webmin which would make this much easier for you. It was a web based app which you can configure parts of the machine with. I know you can add/remove users for sendmail through webmin. But I strongly suggest you learn linux cause webmin will not fix any problems that may happen.