Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am pretty new to linux and I kind of ran into a problem executing a certain program from my account on the office server. I installed a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oj
    Just Joined!

Server path redirections

Hi all,
    I am pretty new to linux and I kind of ran into a problem executing a certain program from my account on the office server. I installed a statistics program R and it executes when I go the the it's directory. When I am in my root directory the "which R" command returns nothing and I thus connot use this program in conjuction with emacs.

Does this mean I have to change the path name? If so can anyone give me some advice on how to go about doing that? If not, does this mean that I need the server admin to install the program for it to run properly.

Thanks fir all your help.
    Oj

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure if I've understood your question correctly, but if I have, the thing you're looking for is the PATH environment variable. It determines where the system looks for programs that are not given by a complete path.

To check what the PATH variable is currently set to, run the following command.
    Code:
    echo $PATH