Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I am relatively fresh with Linux, and I wander what's the best distro for setting up a ftp / file server. I used Win 2000 server before but I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Serverdistro ??

Hello. I am relatively fresh with Linux, and I wander what's the best distro for setting up a ftp / file server. I used Win 2000 server before but I think it is to big and 90 % percent of it is never used. The distro will also need to have a fairly good security.

Can anyone give me some good advice ??

Linux User
    probably debain or freebsd since you can just install the necessary components for your software and the packaging system is simpler than rpms. But both debian and freebsd only have text menu based UI for install.

Just Joined!
    I would reccomend FreeBSD, but thats my opinion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    FreeBSD or Slackware out of Linux distros.
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Security? If you want security use OpenBSD, might have to read the install manual twice before installing but when you're done it is going to be safe.

I recently updated to slackware. Slackware is a little different. i think it is more stable and solid. I was using fedora core 3 it was the easiest to configure and run and it was pretty stable without x. I was fine with fedora till I really got into slackware and noticed the power. My recommendation is to use Red Hat 9 or fedora to learn the learn open bsd or slackware and plan on converting latter.
    just a thought
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

any distro or bsd you want or like the best! personly i run servers an gentoo and used to run them on suse (on my 700mhz old laptop) it just comes down to what you are most comfortably with
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org