Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am new to linux and this is my first time trying anything with it... I am planning on setting up a DHCP Server/Firewall out of an older system... it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DHCP Server/Firewall

I am new to linux and this is my first time trying anything with it...

I am planning on setting up a DHCP Server/Firewall out of an older system... it's a AMD K6-2 550MHz w/ 160MB RAM. I have SUSE 9.1 Enterprise Server and am wondering if that would be ok to use for this setup and how hard it is to configure. Would there be a better distro to use instead?

I know how to set this up on windows 2k server and 2k3 server, but as I stated earlier, I am new to linux... any help would be appreciated... thanks.

Linux Newbie
    I dont think that you will be able to run it. I have version 9.0 of that edition and it requires that you have 256 meg of ram for the install.
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd

Just Joined!
    If i upgrade it to 256MB RAM will it work ok... is there another alternative distro i should use? If so... what could I use SUSE Enterprise server for?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Yes there is; you can use slackware - or for example Minislack. Minislack has a graphical boot with 60 MB RAM in use, rarely consuming more than 128 MB in graphical mode - and you can always add a swap file. I think Minislack suits your needs. It's a 1.1 GB install (400 MB iso - slackware is at least two 700 MB iso's). Of course, you can still strip a lot of software.

I recommend Slackware, but it's not that newbie-friendly. Minislack is, as the name says, based on Slackware, but a lot more easier to handle... While maintaining slackware compatibility and stability. It comes standard with a firewall based on IPtables. Eady to configure! I came from SuSE myself, so I speak from experience.

You should check it out! The problem with SuSE is it uses a heavy desktop environment like KDE or Gnome, which consumes a lot of CPU and RAM.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    I have a 2 GHz Dell with 256MB Ram also... can i use SUSE 9.1 for a media/file server then to stream media over the network?

I'm just trying to find a use for SUSE 9.1... i'll setup the DHCP server with one version of linux and then move on to setting up SUSE 9.1

Linux Engineer
    Yep, no problem. 256MB will work fine. Just don't use too much eyecandy with KDE, or replace it with a lighter desktop environment like Xfce.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

I'm running SuSE 9.3 on my firewall computer. it requires 128 MB RAM to install and GUI works with 128 MB too. With YaST it's quite easy, there is no need to make configurations to files by your self because YaST will do it for you.

Just Joined!
    sooo... which would suse 9.1 be better used with a firewall/dhcp server or a media/file server?

Linux Newbie
    I have my gateway, a PIII 500Mhz with 192MB RAM and it runs DHCP, along with a firewall and IPTABLES to do the port forwarding to my web server internally and will later be a DNS server. I run it without a graphical environment as this puts much less strain on the system. Yast can be run on SUSE in text mode so there is still the ease of setting everything up, including the DHCP server with a nice and easy, step-by-step configuration. I use SUSE 9.3 on my gateway and my server (dual PII 300Mhz with 256MB RAM) and both use no graphical environment.
    For administering them I either use ssh to remote in or use a web interface such as the wonderful webmin, which is also very easy to use.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokechaser420
    sooo... which would suse 9.1 be better used with a firewall/dhcp server or a media/file server?
    Well I was talking about 9.3 because YaST is much much much better in 9.3 even than 9.2 atleast for firewall configurations, so it would be much easier to do all configurations with it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast