Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
First, I am very new to Linux but I am learning quickly. I am currently becoming familiar with Fedora Core 4. We currently use Win 2k and 2k3 servers for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

General Linux server questions

First, I am very new to Linux but I am learning quickly. I am currently becoming familiar with Fedora Core 4. We currently use Win 2k and 2k3 servers for everything (networking, public hosting, etc).

I would like to set up a Linux test server and make it public. Eventually I know we will purchase Red Hat Enterprise, but before we know much about Linux, I would like to test with a free version. What is recommended for high end operations like clustering, high-availability, VPN hosting, etc.? I was thinking Red Hat FC or Red Hat 9.

Also, how can I find Linux equivalents to the Win2k3 server roles (VPN, FTP server, Terminal Services, etc.)?

Finally, is it possible to set up a network similar to Windows? A domain with users and domain controllers. Is it also possible to set up a network where computers can log directly onto a Terminal Server like a Novell or Citrix network?

Thanks for all the help,
    James

I'm not over familiar with all of these parts across both platforms.. so - Most distros can be configured for what you want, but Red Hat ,Debian or SuSE will be the best options. (Debian will be a bit more manual, bit more purist). FTP is out of the box mostly, Terminal Services is there but may work a litlle differently. You can certainly have linux clients running SSH with the X server running on the clients. I won't swear on this though as TS is a lot more native to Unix systems than Windows. Remember MS bought Citrix technology to make it work.....

Clustering on RH is supposed to be very good, think Mandrake do it too and you can rely on high availability - Forget the words defrag and reboot . Most things can be fixed without rebooting where fixing is needed. Networking is native to with OpenLDAP and similar protocols. Using SuSE or NLD/ Novell Server provides native netware support. The only part I'm not really faamiliar with is VPN, never had need for it.

Anyway, I think if you are looking for these kind of services and are running in a corporate network or need high availability/support you should consider something with solid support like Red Hat Enterprise, though download a traunch of free disc, everything from A-Z and live disc galore to get familiarity.

If you need any help there will most likely be someone here to help you, everyone likes to share

Re: General Linux server questions

Quote Originally Posted by ProTrooper
    First, I am very new to Linux but I am learning quickly. I am currently becoming familiar with Fedora Core 4. We currently use Win 2k and 2k3 servers for everything (networking, public hosting, etc).

I would like to set up a Linux test server and make it public. Eventually I know we will purchase Red Hat Enterprise, but before we know much about Linux, I would like to test with a free version. What is recommended for high end operations like clustering, high-availability, VPN hosting, etc.? I was thinking Red Hat FC or Red Hat 9.

Also, how can I find Linux equivalents to the Win2k3 server roles (VPN, FTP server, Terminal Services, etc.)?

Finally, is it possible to set up a network similar to Windows? A domain with users and domain controllers. Is it also possible to set up a network where computers can log directly onto a Terminal Server like a Novell or Citrix network?

Thanks for all the help,
    James
    James no disrespect here but if you need a domain that acts like windows, why don't you just buy windows? Windows is the closest thing to windows that I can think of.

Linux has a lot of cool and exciting features, but it isn't windows.
    BTW in linux tc is rdesktop and it works good. check it out type rdesktop then IP address.
    Cheers,
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

akt
    Just Joined!

VPN Configuration

hai james,

in order to configure VPN,choose Red hat enterprise linux.

to configure a host-host [or] network-network(i.e) permanent VPN connection choose ipsec
    to configure a network-host (i.e) temporary connection choose cipe,which we are configuring in windows.

bye

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the response. It's good to know that I'm on the right track.

Mike, the primary reason for switching to Linux is the cost. We are currently using trial software and to purchase all the licenses we would need would cost us about $10,000. I only ask about the Windows equivalents because it's all I know . I've heard of Linux networks in schools and such so I assumed they were similar in stucture.

I know I have a long ways to go so I will be coming back here quite frequently. Thanks again for the help!

Any time we can help. Drop back anytime!

Just Joined!
    adrenaline
    BTW in linux tc is rdesktop and it works good. check it out type rdesktop then IP address.
    But the rdesktop is only applicable from a linux system to another system (linux or windows), correct?

I wanted to access the linux machine from a windows (xp or 2000) laptop. So, I downloaded the cygwin, but I have not successfully been able configure it.

Just Joined!
    If you will use RedHat EL in the end, try Whitebox. it's compiled out of the sources of RedHat so you you allready have the look and feel (just the brand name is different, and no RedHat support).

set it up, try it out, and when switching to RHEL, copy the data and configs, install RHEL, restore the data and configs, done. (in theory)

Linux User
    Theres other redhat enteprise recompiles such as centOS, whitebox and others. But if your going for server you may want to test out any red hat enteprise recompile, suse and debain(I use debian at work).

Anyway the software youll most likely want to read up on are

ftp server = vsftpd
    VPN = Poptop for pptp based vpns, freeswan for ipsec based vpn.
    Terminal services = Nomachine for gui (theres some freeversions knocking around).

directory services with file sharing = open ldap, samba and nfs (send me a message if ye want a good how to)

Just Joined!
    So Linux networks do not have "polocies" or "domain controllers"? Also, what is the Exchange equivelant or major mail server software (for free)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast