Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been kicking around the idea of making an old computer of mine a web-sever. Here's my specs: 500Mhz Pentium Celeron (listed in Bios as PII) 196 Mb of Ram ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Possibly installing on an old box to use as a webserver

I've been kicking around the idea of making an old computer of mine a web-sever. Here's my specs:

500Mhz Pentium Celeron (listed in Bios as PII)
    196 Mb of Ram

Think this'll work?
    I need to serve up phpbb forums, so it needs to be able to run mysql (less then 20 users, max). I also have a lot of images on the sever. How does do you think they'd run? In addition, besides being my webserver, it'd also be my internet gateway.

ATM, I'm thinking debian or maybe ubuntu, without any X.

What do you guys think my performance will be like? Do you think it'd be do-able?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

It will certainly be do-able for that number of users with light usage. I am always warey of SQL on boxes with low ram. Are there many images to be shipped out with the BB? Any scrimping here would benefit you with the SQL side. I found some of the MySQL processes to be kinda heavy on an 800MHz PIII I had, but it was on XP at the time. Is that PC66 Dimms? I may have some spare if you are stuck and have a few slots free.

Linux Guru
    That was my worry, too. Too much MySQL and things might start to get nasty.

Thanks for the RAM offer. I have both my slots full, and I think I'm going to reconsider it anyway. I'd rather have the stablity I have now.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude