Find the answer to your Linux question:
I manage the server for a company with around 20 employees and we have a lot of internal emails to exchange between our teams. We host outside and not on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Email Setup

I manage the server for a company with around 20 employees and we have a lot of internal emails to exchange between our teams. We host outside and not on our servers. Now everytime a employee wants to send a email to another emoloyee the mail goes to our hosting server and comes back which we think this eats away a lot of our bandwidth.
    What we want to do is setup a local Sendmail server on one of our Linux box and configure it in a way that whenever a mail originates from our domain (like a@mycompany.com to b@mycompany.com) then the mail should be routed internally and if it goes to any other domain it should send it to a master SMTP server (that of our hosting company).
    Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Guru
    What does your email setup look like currently? Ie., how do the users fetch their mail and so on? If they fetch it from an external server, then I guess that the mail has to be sent their anyway, right? Otherwise it wouldn't be there when they try to fetch it.

Just Joined!

Email Setup

Hi,
    Our current setup within the company is to send and receive emails using a mail client like Outlook Express and we connect to the hosting company' email server for the incoming mails and useour local SMTP server to send the emails, in this way we can at least curb the bandwidth usage for sending mails individually thru the SMTP server provided by the hosting company, not that it makes much difference.
    Yes it is from an external server and we would need to fetch it from there but if there was any way we could map the two servers in a way. In fact i wouldn't mind setting up two acvcounts in the email clients one for the lcoal if the mail drops in here and other to get it from the hosting servers.
    I just want that when a person A from the company send to person B in the company at the same email address the person B uses, it should land up on the local servers and user B should retrieve it from trhere.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    That isn't too easy to do, actually.

The only way that I can think of is to set up a local "Post office server", so to speak, ie. one running SMTP and POP3 (or IMAP or whatever you use), and then making the MTA catch the mails headed for the local domain. It's not a terribly bad solution, but it doesn't look very pretty. You would, of course, have to configure the mail clients to fetch mails from the local server as well.

Just Joined!
    hi Dolda2000,
    Much as i thought so, that would be the probable solutions. Thanks very much for confirming my ideas.
    All the help is very much appreciated.