Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm curious why smbd is using so much CPU time. When I copy a file from a Samba share to my Windows box, it typically uses about 15% of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

smbd using lots of CPU

I'm curious why smbd is using so much CPU time.

When I copy a file from a Samba share to my Windows box, it typically uses about 15% of the CPU time (according to top). This is on a 2.66ghz celeron.

That seems like an excessive amount of CPU time to read from a disk and transmit across the network. I know Windows doesn't use nearly that much CPU time when files are copied from shares...

Just curious and hoping maybe there's a fix.

Pete

Linux Newbie
    Look if DMA 5 is enabled for your harddrive. Samba uses loads of CPU time if DMA 2 is enabled.
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

Just Joined!
    I have 3 hard drives. When I installed linux, I created a single logical parition that covered all 3 (with /boot in a separate partition)

2 of the drives are using udma6 and 1 uses udma 5.

Pete

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    If you have raid configuration based on software raid than it will use more cpu time as Hardware raid.
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

Just Joined!
    It's not RAID. I simply have the drives linked together as a single logical partition.

Pete