Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Kingedgar You could do nothing but learn from having one IMO totally agree, i setup a server and started running ftp and nfs and samba and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingedgar
    You could do nothing but learn from having one IMO
    totally agree, i setup a server and started running ftp and nfs and samba and the such just playing and trying to network 2 linux computers, it's good fun and deffinately great for learning.

Just Joined!
    for me its all about learning as well.
    I picked up a Quad Xeon server for 250 bucks last year and so far I have honed my Linux skills quite a bit, plus I have learned a ton about Raid, SCSI, Fibre channel, hot swap (make sure the card is hot swap and not just the pci slot )
    so if you end up not learning it much it can be a GREAT learning tool, fixnig things really does teach you alot, not to mention those MAN pages.
    so now a year later my linux box servs as a personal web server, internal network file server, sql database server etc.

Luma

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As a matter of fact I just built myself a new test box with an Athlon 1000+ and some pretty old stuff but it has an excellent PSU in it. I have FreeBSD running off a 10GB drive and I have a separate 5GB drive in there just in case I need a backup or something bad happens. I really do need wireless though.. We have three main computers all networked together throughout the upstairs by taking a huge ethernet cable and hooking them up but we lodged them in the crack of the carpet so it's not as noticable. WIth this new pc I hook up a small ethernet cord to the pc and to the switch directly and my parents call it a safety hazard because someone could trip over the wire on the floor and it's not long enough to wrap around and put in the crack of the carpet so I'm kinda stuck. It's either buy a big ethernet cord or just go wireless because this thing has to be on constantly.

I was thinking about taking the html from my site and copy+paste but I it might be a gray area legally. I'm going to set up this server soon but right now I am focused on getting back to school and such.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

As a matter of fact I just built myself a new test box with an Athlon 1000+ and some pretty old stuff but it has an excellent PSU in it. I have FreeBSD running off a 10GB drive and I have a separate 5GB drive in there just in case I need a backup or something bad happens. I really do need wireless though.. We have three main computers all networked together throughout the upstairs by taking a huge ethernet cable and hooking them up but we lodged them in the crack of the carpet so it's not as noticable. WIth this new pc I hook up a small ethernet cord to the pc and to the switch directly and my parents call it a safety hazard because someone could trip over the wire on the floor and it's not long enough to wrap around and put in the crack of the carpet so I'm kinda stuck. It's either buy a big ethernet cord or just go wireless because this thing has to be on constantly.

I was thinking about taking the html from my site and copy+paste but I it might be a gray area legally. I'm going to set up this server soon but right now I am focused on getting back to school and such.

as long as its HTML you wrote or created with their tools, it's yours to do whatever you want..just dont copy the code they put in to add banners and what not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2