Find the answer to your Linux question:
This isn't an Apache question per se, but it does affect my Apache. I just noticed today my Apache isn't working, and upon further inspection my port 80 is closed. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

my port 80 has been closed...

This isn't an Apache question per se, but it does affect my Apache. I just noticed today my Apache isn't working, and upon further inspection my port 80 is closed. I have 0 knowledge of ports and how to turn them on and off, could someone give me a bit of a run down?

Linux Guru
    What do you mean when you say that port 80 is "closed"? Have you made sure that apache is running?

Linux User
    Go ahead and delete this, httpd just didn't start up the first time for some reason.

EDIT: Actually maybe there is something you can help me with. Do you know of any way to have my computer request the same IP over and over without paying for a static IP? I'm using DHCP and the only reason I'm asking is my friend who uses the same ISP uses Mac OSX and he said it requests the same IP.

Linux Engineer
    Use dhcp to get the initial lease on the ip then assign it to your box as if it was static. I did that and have used the same ip from comcast since I had the service.

Linux Guru
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that can't work indefinitely unless you ACK your lease every now and then, right?

Linux User
    How would I assign the IP?

Linux Guru
    Just as you usually would when you set a card to using a static IP address. The actual procedure differs from distro to distro, of course.

Linux User
    what do you mean when you say "by getting an initial leaseon an ip"?
    could you please clarify?

thanks,
    nik

Linux Guru
    It means getting an IP over DHCP. The term lease is used in DHCP for the "session" of an IP address that it gave out, so to speak. After a while, the lease will cease unless you refresh it, and when that happens, the DHCP server will be able to give the IP address to someone else that requests an address.