Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well sorry guys don't smite me for running Windows all these years an working with it. However I have ran in the past on Suse 9.1 pro. Anyway I need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Easy Webserver

Well sorry guys don't smite me for running Windows all these years an working with it. However I have ran in the past on Suse 9.1 pro. Anyway I need a good distro an easy one for that fact to run a webserver/ftp server on. Also maybe any guides on how to configure for ftp/webserver access would also be appreciated. My 320gb's of space has to go to use somewhere. I am going to have to say Linux as a server!

Linux Engineer
    For the webserver, use Apache, definetely. It's included in most of the distros and the default configuration is pretty good, you just need to start the Apache service and you will have it running..
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Is this server going to be accessed by the public or just you?

Linux Newbie
    try debian sarge with apache for the webserver.

Just Joined!
    It will be public access. Also thanks for the recommendation! Anymore ideas.

Assuming you have a fast internet connection, use the Debian net-install. Debian "Sarge", btw, is Debian Stable. Just go to Debian's web site and download the net-install .iso. It's a small file; I'm going to assume you can burn it to CD.

During the install, it will ask you what sort of system you're going to be running (so it can select a bunch of canned package collections). You'll obviously want to select "Web Server", but also select "Desktop Workstation" unless you're absolutely sure you do NOT want a friendly GUI interface also. You'll probably want to select "File Server" also.

This will get you up and running with most of the software you'll need installed.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Linux Newbie
    www.aboutdebian.com has great resources on how to set up servers. i really think debian sarge would be a good fit for you. you can use that site for the install too. during install dont install the web server complete package if you want to use the webserver tutorial found in here.

hope that helps!

-Dan

Are you going to install this on your desktop machine? because it is a good idea to put it on a seperate machine at least.

Suse has a nice option in Yast for setting up servers. You may want to check those out.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    I am going to go ahead and say that I have had great success with FreeBSD, as a webserver, along with being super stable, it also has ports, which is really awesome for installing and updating web servers and services that power dynamic content.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast