Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a Linux newbie and have been thinking about the following: since I'm on the road all the time and would like to start sending mail with my own ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best SMTP relay solution

Hi,

I'm a Linux newbie and have been thinking about the following:

since I'm on the road all the time and would like to start sending mail with my own personal sender/receiver tags I have spent some time looking at free SMTP servers.
    There are many out there, but most do not allow using a different sender address.
    I.e., I would like to send mail while at airport X wireless with Thunderbird and specify various sender addresses. This to handle various E-mails for different purposes.
    Is there such a thing as a computer-based solution for this?

What are your experiences with the various providers?
    Which are most flexible and secure?
    If I use my own server, am I like various threads suggest here setting myself up for problems?

Your help is much appreciated!

Marinus.

The problem with relaying is that you can provide a gateway through which certain elements of the internet can forward spam anonymously.

If I understand what you want to do, then it seems that you just want to send email from wherever you are with a different return address, hence allowing you to use your 'home' address for your friends or one of several 'business' addresses, depending on the company you may be consulting for this week.

Are you sure you dont just need to change the return address on your emails and your signature? Most modern email programs let you select a user profile when sending, which allow you to change these things easily.

Just Joined!
    Hi Roxoff,

yes that is what I'm after.
    When I change the sender address in Thunderbird, GMail nor hotpop allow me to send mail.
    So I guess if it's such a vulnerability, my question is more leaned towards what the best free SMTP service is out there. Do you know?

I would still like to know how to set up my own mail server eventually, but I first need to know more about firewalling that app and Linux in general more.

Thanks,

Marinus.

Why dont you try KMail. It lets you specify different 'identities' for yourself. You get to pick the identity you want to use when you're editing the email.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Same problem; gets rejected because of a different sender address.

I think you probably need to set up a local sendmail link then. If you set that up correctly, it wont care about the sender's domain, it'll do it's anti-relaying by IP address. It doesn't need to be set up for incoming mail either, you can keep on receiving mail through your current providers.

The local sendmail, when you give it mail to deliver would do the DNS lookup, resolving the MX record for the target domain, then contact that MX machine directly, and pass the mail on. You wouldn't be going through anyone else's mailserver, and nobody else could go through yours.

Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/