Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I tried to install shorewalll, so i downloaded the file "shorewall-2.4.3-1.src.rpm". my install command line was "rpmbuild --rebuild shorewall.........src.rpm". The prompt i got was "rpmbuild" option not found...( i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

RPM Installation - gcc etc

hello,

I tried to install shorewalll, so i downloaded the file "shorewall-2.4.3-1.src.rpm".

my install command line was "rpmbuild --rebuild shorewall.........src.rpm". The prompt i got was "rpmbuild" option not found...( i dont remember.) I did some googling around, and i got info that im supposed to have gcc etc installed...so I did the RH Add/remove applications options and added gcc tools under the development options.

i now followed the tutorial at the shorewall website"http://www.shorewall.net/"

I reused the rebuild command above and i got a list of info going up the screen...i guess it ran ok....my prompt soon showed....scrolling through the infos, i didnt oserve any errors.

from what ive read, i think the .src files contain source files my "rebuild" command is supposed to build an .rpm file, right? my problem is now locating the built .rpm file so as to install it using -ivh.

i was root throughout....my distro is RH9.. i tried locate shorewall....rpm to no avail

Toks

Try this rpm: http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/sh...3-1.noarch.rpm since src.rpm's are a bit dificult to get working.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Newbie
    thanks dylunio,

pls whats the command line to installs such....noarch.rpm....

as im rpm -ivh ??? ....noarch.rpm,

or is it the same instruction as if it was a normal rpm?

TOks

You install it as you install any .rpm with
    Code:
    rpm -ivh foo.rpm
    the fact that it has noarch in it's name just says it is not for a specific architecture like i586 or x86-64 of something
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Newbie
    hello again dylunio,

ok, i used ur command and i believe its installed now....but it first did a "
    shorewall ##################100% and then the cursor stuck at one point for the next 20mins...I had to close the terminal to exit...ANyway, I have a shorewall DIR at /etc.

I have other questions though:
    FIRST=== I got my dhcpd working(my clients could get IPs from my server etc) but no internet access, so I installed firestarter which got it working...

- when I type "service dhcpd status", it tells me "dhcpd(pid 3666) is running". so i know my dhcpd is working.

- when I type "service firestarter status", it shows me a long list of infos. Scrolling up and down, i see the forward policy/accept policies etc.....
    How do i know its the firewall aspect of firestarter is running.....

Q1- pls how do I really know that my firestarter install is working. is there another command to make sure its running?

SECOND=== When I "gnome-system-monitor" and I check my dhcpd under the "process name listing" and the process info says sleeping, but checking the status of dhcpd service above tells me its running......I had read that the gnome system monitor is like the "windows task manager" which allows one to see which process is up/down..

another thing...........I dont see firestarter listed there.....
    Q2 - kindly clarify if u can....

THIRD===
    Im following the tutorial on the shorewall website....Now, since i have firestarter installed, will firestarter conflict with shorewall if both are running on the same machine?

thanks
    Toks

Linux Newbie
    hello again dylunio,

shorewall ##################100% and then the cursor stuck at one point for the next 20mins...I had to close the terminal to exit...ANyway, I have a shorewall DIR at /etc.

FIRST=== I got my dhcpd working(my clients could get IPs from my server etc) but no internet access, so I installed firestarter which got it working...

- when I type "service dhcpd status", it tells me "dhcpd(pid 3666) is running". so i know my dhcpd is working.

- when I type "service firestarter status", it shows me a long list of infos. Scrolling up and down, i see the forward policy/accept policies etc.....

Q1- pls how do I really know that my firestarter install is working. is there another command to make sure its running?

SECOND=== When I "gnome-system-monitor" and I check my dhcpd under the "process name listing" and the process info says sleeping, but checking the status of dhcpd service above tells me its running......I had read that the gnome system monitor is like the "windows task manager" which allows one to see which process is up/down..

THIRD===
    Im following the tutorial on the shorewall website....Now, since i have firestarter installed, will firestarter conflict with shorewall if both are running on the same machine?

thanks
    Toks

Linux Newbie
    hello again dylunio,

THIRD===

thanks
    Toks

Ok to see ef the firewall is running open up firestarter
    Code:
    firestarter
    (you may need to do this as root) and then it will tell you if the firewall is started or not, also it will give you options on what to do with events etc.

THat should sort out the first two Q's, though I'm not sure fo the 3rd since I've never useh shorewall
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2